Approaching Defending - a how to.

DeletedUser

Note: Premium is ESSENTIAL for this approach to defending.

I've been going through my computer, and just dug up an old guide I wrote a while back. I've tweaked it a bit before putting it up here :)

Googly's Approach to Defending

Most of the people who have played with me and tried to take me down know that I am a strong defender. I wouldn't say I'm great. I would say I am an aggressive conservative. I try to conserve troop losses so that I can take the fight back to the attacker. This is how I approach defending (roughly) - I would reccomend this to newer/inexperienced players more than experienced ones.

So you've just logged in, after a nice long sleep. Unfortunately, some idiots have launched heavily on you, and so you have a tonne of incomings. If you are relatively new to the game, lazy or inexperienced in defending heavy assaults, then this will be of more use to you than anything else.

Step 1. Take a breather.
Go away from the computer for 1-2 minutes - the worst thing you can do is panic and jump right in, as that is when you WILL make mistakes.

Step 2. Look for likely trains.
Go to incoming, order them by village, and look for any villages which have a significantly larger number of incomings than others, and for obvious noble trains. Make a note of these.

Step 3. Alert your tribe.
Post in your tribe forums, alerting people to the fact that you have heavy incomings. In the post, say you are currently trying to work out what is what, and will update the thread as you have gained the information available. The earlier your tribe is warned that you may need help, the earlier they will respond in kind. It is a good idea if your incoming rate is rising, to ask people to send fakes/real nukes at the players hitting you - they will then be likely to slow down/stop sending on you, in order to defend themselves better.

Step 4. Tagging.
NOW begin tagging. Use this "rush tagging" method first to pick out inbound trains.

Start with the likely trains first, and then work your way from start to finish. If in doubt, check the last time you were online - if you had no incomings at that point, or had finished tagging up until that point, you will have a rough timeslot they had to send in. Sometimes you can find likely trains are actually cat-trains or fake trains, because you would have been on when the nobles would have had to have been sent.

Ok, so you have just finished tagging your attacks. Some you couldn't due to not knowing when they were sent for sure. This is where email notifications come in handy. They will tell you at what times you got incoming attacks. Simply cross-reference your email notifications with the incoming attacks to work out what speed attacks are heading your way.

Use the built-in Mass Tagger if you are online as incomings get sent. Just remember to set the incoming filter to 'attack'!

Step 5. Begin defending.
So we now have the majority, if not all, of the attacks tagged.
We have a few choices now:
Sniping.
Stacking.
Dodging.
Backtiming.
Pre-Nobling/Recapping

I have spoilered below the pro's and con's of each method, from my point of view. Click here for an in-depth guide on how to do each method.

I wouldn't recommend backtiming unless you are an experienced defender - you can easily lose nukes on pre-stacked villages if your backtime is going across a large distance. The only time it is worth the risk is on packet worlds, backtiming nobles. This is because killing nobles at home does the enemy a lot more damage than them killing off the nuke(s) does to you.

Dodging should be used when you have a small number of ram-speed attacks that look likely to be fakes at a village. NEVER use offensive troops to stack a village. Always dodge with these where possible. If you lose a wall from a well-hidden nuke amongst fakes, so what? You can still hold a village effectively without a wall. You can't without troops.

Stacking. If you can get large amounts of support to a village being heavily hit, this is generally (not always, but generally) the best thing to do. Whether this is your defense, or tribal/friend support. It will demoralise the enemy if you can take out their nukes, as they can't do too much. I would generally advise 3 full defensive villages minimum as a stack, as this way the losses you gain will be spread between villages, and on average their nuke losses would outweigh your defensive losses depending on how many defensive villages you can support the target village with.

Sniping. This is the single most valuable technique in defending. In both meanings of the word. Let's cover the first meaning - supporting a village between nobles landing. This is a great way to hold a village with minimal troops needed for a period of time. Eventually if they keep sending nobles you will lose it. However, each time you kill off a bunch of nobles it puts the enemy back several hours. There is nothing nicer than seeing a nuke or a noble go splat.

The second meaning I prefer to call re-capping. This method is the idea of letting yourself lose a village, but retake it straight after.This can be useful for holding villages - particularly if you pre-noble the villages before the enemy's train lands, so that they overnoble. Again, more effective on packet worlds than coin worlds.

The best defenders are the people who can hold on to the majority of their villages with small troop loss on their part. Bear this in mind when defending.

Once you have some experience in defending properly, you will know that it all comes down to judgement calls. Don't worry if you lose a few villages. If the enemy has an Op on you to take 30 of your villages, and only take 6, they will be demoralised. Although you will be pissed off for losing villages, does it matter? No! You have caused the enemy more problems than they wanted, and so you are in a better position to do damage. Plus, you should be able to recap your villages as the walls will be low and you will have known if they were sending support to land after noble trains.

~Googly~

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

In your opinion :p

If you are low on troops and nobody has spare defense to support you, this is one of the only options you have for maintaining villages whilst rebuilding troops.

Agree. You can snipe with 13 HC and kill of 100 axe/noble. ;) No wall needed.

DeletedUser

In your opinion :p

If you are low on troops and nobody has spare defense to support you, this is one of the only options you have for maintaining villages whilst rebuilding troops.
Sniping is a last ditch method, that requires practice to perfect, and even by people with good ability can be screwed up. Stacking should always, always be used first. (however, in your example yes, sniping is a useful tool)

DeletedUser

It may be a last ditch effort. Stacking may be useful for holding villages. I'm not denying that in any sense.

All I am saying is that sniping is the single most valuable technique in defending, as I said in my original post (which you quoted earlier). Holding villages and killing nobles that are aimed at you with relatively minimal troop loss, preserves defensive troops and allows you to be more economical with what defense you have.

From your comments, we play a completely different style of game. I am a very economical person with the troops I have available to me. Different styles, that's all this argument will boil down to. Therefore, we may as well agree to disagree, as this is guide is based on my experience ingame; there is little point to discuss this further.

You'll find myself and mattcurr are of the same belief, and considering that from an economic standpoint, stacking offers a much better return on investment than sniping, you are not as economical as you try to sound.
Both myself and he are also very mathematical players, but then you know that about him.
Aliases are wonderful things

DeletedUser

It may be a last ditch effort. Stacking may be useful for holding villages. I'm not denying that in any sense.

All I am saying is that sniping is the single most valuable technique in defending, as I said in my original post (which you quoted earlier). Holding villages and killing nobles that are aimed at you with relatively minimal troop loss, preserves defensive troops and allows you to be more economical with what defense you have.

From your comments, we play a completely different style of game. I am a very economical person with the troops I have available to me. Different styles, that's all this argument will boil down to. Therefore, we may as well agree to disagree, as this is guide is based on my experience ingame; there is little point to discuss this further.

Farming is the most valuable technique to defending. Sniping is rather useless in mid to late game. You dont mention prenobling, and about 12038120310238102380123801283 things which are much more useful than sniping. I would give the guide a D personally. D+ maybe

based on my experience
Dumb quote. I could say based on my experience the world is clearly flat, in fact the ocean extends forever there is nothing outside north america. True story its from my experience bro dont knock it because you have these things called "books."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Prenobling and recapping - no mention? It's a very valid technique especially in packet worlds.

DeletedUser931

based on my experience.

Based on my experience, in about 3 years of play, if you can't snipe at all, but can do everything else decently, you'll lose maybe 1 village total.

DeletedUser

Apologies... I skimmed... but the fact that it was left out of this part:

We have a few choices now:
Sniping.
Stacking.
Dodging.
Backtiming.

...was the kicker for me, because unless there's a full D or nuke or close in the village being nobled, to me it's the obvious choice on packet worlds, before everything you mentioned.

DeletedUser

farming=faster growth=being larger than your opponent=success

DeletedUser1093

You missed signing up as a method of defence too Googly!

Register=you can play=success

DeletedUser

I've been watching this debate interestedly and I think THT (TheHeirtotheThrone) just proved Googly's point in a way no amount of serious logic could.

DeletedUser

Based on my experience, in about 3 years of play, if you can't snipe at all, but can do everything else decently, you'll lose maybe 1 village total.

I do beg to differ on that statement muldie.

Sniping is a skill that is needed during start up. If your in a competative area and become a target (meaning his nobles are enroute) your screwed unless you either have enough tribal support to defend against his O. That been said if you do have lady luck on your side you might get away with it.

DeletedUser

You don't need to learn how to defend if you master growth, then you just stack it all, with a decent tribe and after startup that is. :p

DeletedUser

Step 1. Take a breather.
Go away from the computer for 1-2 minutes - the worst thing you can do is panic and jump right in, as that is when you WILL make mistakes.

Nuff said,

DeletedUser931

Sniping is a skill that is needed during start up. If your in a competative area and become a target (meaning his nobles are enroute) your screwed unless you either have enough tribal support to defend against his O. That been said if you do have lady luck on your side you might get away with it.

I was trying to reinforce what mattcurr was saying about experience not meaning much. In my experience I have never needed to snipe to save a village of my own.

DeletedUser

Farming I don't see as a defensive strategy. I'd like to see that explained a bit for me, if you don't mind.

I didnt say it was a defensive strategy I said it was the most useful thing to defending well. Why? Because normally from the time I have 3 villages on no-one in the world can clear me, because I can farm and build troops faster than them. Stacking>all