Basic Rules/Questions - Q&A

DeletedUser

So, lately I've been noticing some false rules have been going around, and being believed. In addition, some rules need clarification. Because of that, I've decided to make a thread dedicated to answering all questions about rules, clarifying them, and helping people understand them. Any questions about the rules can be asked here, so you are not infracted. Any questions you don't want to ask here can be mailed to me of course. Here are some of the most commonly broken rules according to what I've seen, some false rules I've seen going around, and rules that need clarifying:

Question: Is the use of the word "shit" allowed?
Answer: This is still a kid-friendly forum, and I don't want players continuously using profanity because it doesn't help the atmosphere at all, and can even be flame-baiting in some cases. Therefore, the word "shit" is never allowed.

Question: Is "crap" allowed, at least?
Answer: Yes, the word crap is allowed so long as it's not used to insult other players, such as calling them a piece of crap. However, the word itself is fine in a general context. For example, "crap, that sucks" is allowed when discussing an unfortunate event, but saying "You are a piece of crap" is not allowed :).

Question: Are one-word posts ever allowed?
Answer: No, they are never allowed.

Question: And does the same apply for bitch/bastard?
Answer: Use of these words is infractionable.

Question: Is the f-word allowed in acronyms?
Answer: This is one of the most common mistakes users make, and one that can be easily avoided. The rules explicitly state that anything that can be easily and reasonably implied to refer to the f-word is punishable, even in an acronym.

Allowed: Almost nothing :D.
Not Allowed: Wtf, lmfao, milf, f'ing, feck, and other shortened forms for the word.

Question: What are the rules regarding double, triple, or other multiple posts in a row by the same user?
Answer: You are never allowed to double, triple, or otherwise post multiple posts in a row. It clutters the forums unnecessarily with more posts that simply aren't necessary. If you want to add something, and no one has replied to your previous post, you can simply edit your previous post, and add whatever you wanted to add. There is no need to post again :).

Question: What are the rules for posting pictures?
Answer: Pictures are not allowed to be larger than 640x480 pixels, unless posted in a spoiler. If you're unsure how big a picture is, you should check the image properties by right-clicking it and looking for the size. If that doesn't work, better safe than sorry, and you should post it in a spoiler :). Also, any profanity rules and other rules still apply when posting pictures.

Question: What are the signature rules?
Answer: Signatures must be smaller than or equal to 700x80 pixels in size, when not spoilered. If placed in a spoiler, one can make the signatures equal to or smaller than 700x300 pixels in size. If you're not sure how big a signature is, you can always mail me, or do the math using the formula on the Rules Page. Also, all rules for posting pictures apply to signatures.

Also, please refrain from using any animated images in your signatures. They are not allowed. That includes animated emoticons, such as :lol:.

Question: What about extreme content in signatures/avatars/pictures?
Answer: There won't be punishment for a picture that has the image of a weed plant in it unless it also has words/sentences in it that condone/glorify the use of it. If the image of the drug is alone, most of the time we will disregard it. If you're not sure about if a post is legal, or a signature/avatar, feel free to mail me and I'll let you know :).

Question: What is considered off-topic in a thread?
Answer: Off-topic in a thread is considered to be when a player goes off-topic from the original intent of the thread. This is a huge thing to cover, so I'll do my best:

*Thread about war between A/B tribes on W4"

Player 1: Your stats are as bad as your war on X world where you lost against Y tribe.
Player 2: That was because of etc etc reasons and our tribe was etc etc.

This is allowed, obviously. When you discuss the players in each tribe, this is also allowed, but please be careful not to insult any players personally. You're only allowed to attack in-game skill. Also, if the thread becomes about one player, or it becomes out-of-hand in focusing on only one player, I will redirect the thread with a post, and if it persist, punish.

If a thread about A/B tribes fighting becomes a thread about C possibly intervening, that's fine. But if the thread becomes about C alone, then it's obviously not.

If a thread about A/B tribes fighting becomes a thread about C/D fighting, I will only allow posts if you can say how C/D fighting relates to A/B. And if it's a stretch, don't bother posting. I won't simply glance over it and say "Oh, he related it", I want to see legitimate reasons before I consider it any less than an attempt to grab at straws so you can spam :).

I do allow some spam, I am lenient. However, threads need to stay on-topic. Too much spam clutters the forums, and we don't want that. If you're going to spam, try to take it to GD in another thread.

Spamming a thread about the top 20 tribes by talking about players in each tribe is not allowed, because it generally derails the thread entirely, as opposed to war threads which tend to get back on track. Spamming a thread about top 20 players by talking about tribes is definitely not allowed either.

Any other questions or additions about spam/off-topic? Feel free to post here, and I'll add accordingly.

For now, that's all I can think of. However, if you have more questions, I will be happy to answer them in this thread or by private message, and I will add any worthy questions to this thread. The point of this thread (because believe me, I have a lot of things I could be doing rather than making such a long/cumbersome thread organized) is to keep the forums clean and easier to moderate. If it's easier for me, it's easier for you, and we can all move on with our lives easily :p. So please, feel free to post/ask questions! However, any spam (and I mean any spam) will be removed and warned for, or infracted for. This thread is the one thread I won't tolerate any spam on :p. So please be careful not to do that :).

Thanks,
u6s5l.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

be aware lads,the punisher is here
good luck in making w4 external forum a more "funnyable" one :)

DeletedUser

Thanks :). And I'm just posting this so people have no excuse when I warn infract ban ruin them :smack:.

But on a more serious note these are guidelines. This is a place you can ask any questions, as long as they aren't regarding punishments received (which should be kept in mails). I will not infract you for asking if a certain word is profanity, but I will punish you if you try to derail the thread or use profanity generally :).

DeletedUser

Cool

"Allowed: That shit sucks. (When referring to an unfortunate event)."
so that means if i say "Shit happens" ,I will no longer be given infraction?
rules change fast dont they?

DeletedUser

A valid point. I will edit that appropriately.

Some of these, I originally wrote for .net, and as a result some of the rules are different. I'm still proofreading for things like that. Thank you for pointing it out :).

DeletedUser

The rules don't clarify about some words specifically, and other things, so this is a quicker go-to for the most common mistakes ;).

DeletedUser

The rules don't clarify about some words specifically, and other things, so this is a quicker go-to for the most common mistakes ;).

Why not just create a super-thread with all the words in the english language that are/aren't allowed oO

DeletedUser

Because then people would say "fecking" and point out it's not on the list, and so they got around it. It's just a whole headache. You just have to get the general idea, and get an idea of what is and is not allowed. If you get a basic idea, and understand the reasons, making a list isn't necessary :p.

DeletedUser

Qestion: As this is the US server, and we all know you can say whatever in the states, then what does the 'politically extreme' actually mean? I belever quoting hitler or rosenberg is out of the question, but what about left winged ideologies? Ie are we allowed to quote Mao/Stalin/Ulianov

DeletedUser

Because then people would say "fecking" and point out it's not on the list, and so they got around it. It's just a whole headache. You just have to get the general idea, and get an idea of what is and is not allowed. If you get a basic idea, and understand the reasons, making a list isn't necessary :p.

What about fricking?

DeletedUser

You can quote almost whoever you want, but if you begin to start discussing how you believe communism is the best, or you post something that is yeah, quoted by Hitler, as a general truth...it's not allowed. The point is to try and not get people arguing about political ideologies, because it has nothing to do with the game. If you want to discuss communism, then you can post it in Off-topic. That can actually be allowed, as long as it doesn't become a flaming discussion :p.

But let's say you wanted to quote Stalin saying "Those who do not promote equality among their nation will surely die" (a made-up quote), to reinforce that you should treat tribe members as equals, then it'd be allowed.

What about fricking?

So long as you aren't saying "frick you", I think I can live with allowing that :).

DeletedUser

YThe point is to try and not get people arguing about political ideologies, because it has nothing to do with the game. If you want to discuss communism, then you can post it in Off-topic. That can actually be allowed, as long as it doesn't become a flaming discussion :p.

Technically, political ideologies has a lot to do with the game. There are several tribes set up to be as close to "communist" tribes as possible. Others are dictatorships, some are democracies. Plus multiple other possibilities. Discussing politics can often have direct relevance to discussions of tribes, as it could easily be discussing the merits of a particular style of politics that the tribe appears to follow :p

DeletedUser

Technically, political ideologies has a lot to do with the game. There are several tribes set up to be as close to "communist" tribes as possible. Others are dictatorships, some are democracies. Plus multiple other possibilities. Discussing politics can often have direct relevance to discussions of tribes, as it could easily be discussing the merits of a particular style of politics that the tribe appears to follow :p

he means real life politics

DeletedUser

As Gangster Panda said, the real concern is not that players discuss the political ideology their tribe follows, it's when they attempt to discuss it as a general, RL idea. If I were to say I run my tribe like a dictatorship, that's fine. However, if I were to say dictatorships IRL are great, then obviously I'm going to be doing something politically extreme. Also, keep in mind that this is a game; you shouldn't be attempting to make political statements because it works for your tribe :p.

DeletedUser

he means real life politics

If they have direct relevance to a thread (such as Wikileaks being mentioned as a way of highlighting someone leaking information from a tribe, publicly, as an example), surely that would be fine even if the majority of the post ends up being discussing the similar subject? :p

DeletedUser

If you're going to justify WikiLeaks, then it is politically relevant and extreme in that sense, and would probably inspire discussion on it that's off-topic, which is yet another facet the rule is intended to help avoid. If you were to compare something to WikiLeaks, then obviously it's not going to be a problem :).

DeletedUser

That's your opinion, and you need to keep that to yourself, for the record :p.