Building a Premade - Tips and Advice

DeletedUser

Introduction
I've not written a guide for some time now, and I wanted to share some of my own (successful) experiences for others to potentially benefit or learn from. The topic this time? Premades.

Brief History
Personally, I have only ever created 2 premades. One was Agency, the other is DSy4. At the point of writing this guide, DSy4 is still in existence on W70 .net (with different leadership) - the last remaining premade. Agency merged at end-game with its ally and I carried on leading the teams to win the world together.

What is a Premade?
A premade is very simple: a tribe pre-made for a world before it opens.There are a number of different types of premades that tend to exist:

- The 'fun' ones. They play purely for their own entertainment without the real intent to last. Sometimes they do last, but more often than not they kill themselves off internally.

- The 'in it to win it' ones. They play, as is their way, to win. These tend to be very diplomacy-focused, with the players just wanting to get a quick win. They can last, but again it isn't common to see them go the whole distance or even make it until end game.

- The 'in it to deserve it' ones. They tend to take a lack of diplomacy approach, and try to earn a world win by out-playing the other tribes with a bit more dignity than the 'in it to win it' type tribes.

It is the third category that I am discussing; if you aren't interested in playing the game honourably, this will likely be of next to no use to you as it isn't written for a style that I see as worth playing the game for.

Should I lead a premade?
Have you ever led a tribe ingame before? Not baron, not council. Duke. And for a substantial time too.

If the answer is no, you need some ingame experience in that field first. If you lack the experience, you will not have the trust of your tribe members in the same way you can do through ingame recruitment and slowly establishing your reputation. And in games like this, trust is everything.

If the answer is yes, if you were somewhat successful (by this I mean that the tribe achieved things that you are proud of), then so long as others believe you are or could be a good leader then a premade is something you may like to consider. This does not mean you will be a good leader for a premade; you will likely only find out through experience.

How should it be structured?
There is no 'right' way to lead a tribe. See my leadership for beginners guide - it is the same as any other tribe. You have to find your style; if you try to copy others when it doesn't suit your personality or flair then the tribe will fall flat on its face.

The only advice I would give is to not select your leadership team until you have most of the players brought in for the premade. You can tell from personalities and relations between members as to who will be worth having in a leadership. Sometimes players who led well from a past world can be atrocious on another - making a decision based on past experience of leadership is not the way to go.

Who should I recruit, and how?
The way I have always done recruitment is first and foremost by approaching everybody I trust to gauge interest. If there is not much interest, then there is no point attempting to make one. You need to build a core group that will form the foundation of the tribe.

Don't go for the early-game players - they tend to cause drama, problems and are almost always where the internal leaks come from. Go for the ones who have nice personalities, don't cause constant problems due to their ego, and most of all go for the ones who you will be able to trust if things begin to go downhill.

If anybody contacts you who you do not know personally, see if anybody you do know does know them and get a background check. Do research via forum posts of the accounts they own. Building up a picture will let you know what you are likely in for.

How do I choose a name/tag?
Be playful. Think about your goals through making this premade. If you want a particular image, focus the name around that. If you intend to follow a specific strategy, focus the name around that. If you really don't care, you will have a number of people thinking 'will this guy act like he doesn't care ingame and leave us all in the sewers'?

Should I make a thread?
There is no yes or no answer. Ask yourself these questions.

1. What will it achieve?
2. Do I want attention?
3. Will I receive abuse for making this thread?
4. Will it impact on my reputation before I even begin?

Think carefully; most successful long-term premades don't make a thread. The odd ones that do (such as the ones I have made in the past) don't give anything away, announcing cryptically and under alias so that people don't know:

Who is leading.
Who is in the tribe.
The tribe tag.
The tribe name.

Whilst this maintains a lot of secrecy, this can bring in more interest from a particular type of player, who often end up making a very valuable asset to your team.

Is it really worth it?
That depends on what you want to achieve, and how much of a headache you are prepared to deal with - every premade has issues simply because of the expectations set by the public for premades. If you can see past that and keep your cool...sometimes it can be worth it.

Hope this helps,

~Googly~

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 419875

Great advice, Googly. Thanks for posting this information.

Sweeney

Royal Guardian W17
Reaction score
Don't go for the early-game players

I am not sure that I agree with this. They can be very useful in ensuring your tribes survival during the early stages of the game - as they'll likely have stronger accounts during the opening weeks. When the early-game players begin to quit, new players (hopefully good mid-game players) can take over. Otherwise they can be internalled. Either way, I don't see any disadvantage of have some early-game players (provided they don't, as you said, cause drama or problems - but that should be considered in any recruitment process regardless).

DeletedUser

A lot of players tend to only get attached to an account they create from scratch - some don't, but in my experience it is always a challenge to get people to take over accounts.

Other players can always take over accounts (provided the account information is willing to be given - which is a big risk at times, players with an ego quite frequently decide to screw their friends and tribe over when they quit). But if you manage to do that, you don't have as much of the staying power as the players haven't built the account up and so are lacking in some of the attachment to that account.

That's also a reason why account merges often are doomed to fail, in my eyes.

I understand your point of view - I've not seen a successful premade who recruited start-up players since around-about W40 on .net. I've seen a couple last a long time through using dirty methods or hugging heavily (or both), but they tend to fall apart fast when they get some pressure put on them.

Sweeney

Royal Guardian W17
Reaction score
Indeed it is hard to find players (that will last) for takeovers, but it is down to the recruiter (or equivalence).

As for account information, the recruiter should make it clear from the beginning that startup_player will be passing his/her account on once they quit.

Deleted User - 419875

This is a great conversation, having been on both sides of the fence on this subject. That is one of the pro/cons of Tribal wars, what happens on one world may not happen on the next. Your enemies on one world become your tribemates on another. But as the subject is Building Guides/Tips for premades, The information given in the first post is a great start for those looking to start a premade.

DeletedUser

Indeed it is hard to find players (that will last) for takeovers, but it is down to the recruiter (or equivalence).

As for account information, the recruiter should make it clear from the beginning that startup_player will be passing his/her account on once they quit.

This is something that can easily become a rule-breaking incident depending on how it is handled, so it is best treading carefully when taking this approach.

I've seen a number of people banned for password sharing - W20 .net (tribe Hulk) is a prime example. About 30% of the tribe got banned because of one person holding a number of account passwords and logging in to each (most once to check details, some more than that).

This perspective also is based on the assumption that people are willing to part with their accounts after building them up. Some are happy doing so; others simply aren't, or say one thing and change their mind after a time.

It's a risky option to take - an option, certainly. But at least in my eyes it is more risk and trouble than it is worth in the majority of cases.

Sweeney

Royal Guardian W17
Reaction score
Any decent leader should know to take caution when it comes to the managing of accounts and owners. And indeed, I have seen many bans in said area too - hence why I will always take very particular caution.

This perspective also is based on the assumption that people are willing to part with their accounts after building them up. Some are happy doing so; others simply aren't, or say one thing and change their mind after a time.

Well, I don't know about you, but they are not the kind of players I would have in my tribe. For instance, Nauzhror showed interested in joining my tribe on W13 - I know he is a start-up player and thus had him agree to let someone else take over when he quits. I know he isn't the kind of guy to go against his word, if I had doubts - I never would have invited him in the first place.

DeletedUser

Any sensible leader would try to avoid having that type of person.

As a counter example:

Noobs on Ice on W57 (Trent/Richi/Murph/Zorglub) was a very start-up orientated account. They were co-duking in a premade another player had set up. When that premade began to get attacked, they sold out the entire tribe and set up a new one - despite being completely trusted by most of their tribe.

Start-up players can be very unpredictable, and are often incredibly selfish and arrogant. My point is - even if you know somebody and don't believe they will act up, they still often do and your entire perception of them can completely change through a single act they commit that you've never seen them do before.

Character judgement is quite challenging over an online game; if you are creating a premade for the first time (which this guide is for) and you want people joining who you don't know...then you will be taking a risk with every person you recruit. Start-up players tend to be the worst ones for causing drama, problems and screwing the tribe over when they quit to big up their own ego. Others can too, but people who play long-term don't tend to be as bad.

Sweeney

Royal Guardian W17
Reaction score
I see your point and back up that if you are new to leading (or new to starting a premade), start-up players are generally best avoided. That being said, they can be very useful. But of course I would only take one on if I was close to certain he/she would not turn on me.

DeletedUser

I feel getting everybody in the tribe to achieve the same state of mind in terms of something needed of them personally to make the tribe successful a piece for everyone, this makes them feel a sense of belonging and also they would work harder towards that. It is also good for creating loyalty in the tribe which is important. It also gives each member a sense of responsibility that they are held accountable for. So this way no one is left out and the tribe is always functioning efficiently. I also find leading mainly as a sole leader works best. Especially during the early phase of the game as the tribe members do not need confusion but direct orders. But of course this can really only work out if the leader himself is competent.

Nauzhror

Reaction score

What type? No sure based on context if you are saying any sensible leader would try to avoid recruiting me, or if you meant someone they didn't think they could trust (since the post you quoted specifically was about me).

As a counter example:

Noobs on Ice on W57 (Trent/Richi/Murph/Zorglub) was a very start-up orientated account. They were co-duking in a premade another player had set up. When that premade began to get attacked, they sold out the entire tribe and set up a new one - despite being completely trusted by most of their tribe.

Start-up players can be very unpredictable, and are often incredibly selfish and arrogant. My point is - even if you know somebody and don't believe they will act up, they still often do and your entire perception of them can completely change through a single act they commit that you've never seen them do before.

I don't think that's a issue regarding "startup players", just an issue regarding some specific players (and players in general, not just "startup players").

I'm quite sure you'd call me a startup player, and I'd hope you'd trust that if you made a premade and I joined it that I wouldn't sell out the tribe if I got attacked :p

I do however agree fullheartedly that recruiting primarily "startup players" is very unlikely to lead to long-term success.

DeletedUser

Nice guide Googly ^_^

Way to be posting on the forums, but not say hello on skype haha. Hope all is well my friend :)

DeletedUser

What type? No sure based on context if you are saying any sensible leader would try to avoid recruiting me, or if you meant someone they didn't think they could trust (since the post you quoted specifically was about me).

I'm quite sure you'd call me a startup player, and I'd hope you'd trust that if you made a premade and I joined it that I wouldn't sell out the tribe if I got attacked :p

I didn't intend to send any message about that relates to you specifically, don't worry :D

I wouldn't bring you in to a premade I were leading personally, but that wouldn't be any slur on you as I don't think you'd want to play in any tribe with me as a duke (beyond a few early game conflicts to secure local areas and get very early team-work and morale established, I tend to ensure the tribe stays low-key until all members are connected up, so it makes start-up a lot more tedious than you would probably enjoy and so it would be a waste of your time as you may end up quitting before the funner stages tend to occur).

There are some people that I wouldn't bring in to a tribe with me, purely based on concern for their other contacts -that's particularly prevalent in early game. As an example, I didn't bring in 2 different ex-Random players to my W62 team who both got in touch with me out of caution because of the tight-knit group they come from. Both of those quit early on, and it seemed likely they were both trying to get inside the tribe to cause problems for a friend in another local tribe.

I do however agree fullheartedly that recruiting primarily "startup players" is very unlikely to lead to long-term success.

For tribes not focusing on long-term success it can be very beneficial, which I think isn't coming across in my initial posts. But for long-term tribes that is correct from my perspective.

Nice guide Googly ^_^

Way to be posting on the forums, but not say hello on skype haha. Hope all is well my friend :)

Check your .net inbox :)

Nauzhror

Reaction score
I wouldn't bring you in to a premade I were leading personally, but that wouldn't be any slur on you as I don't think you'd want to play in any tribe with me as a duke (beyond a few early game conflicts to secure local areas and get very early team-work and morale established, I tend to ensure the tribe stays low-key until all members are connected up, so it makes start-up a lot more tedious than you would probably enjoy and so it would be a waste of your time as you may end up quitting before the funner stages tend to occur).

No clue if I'd enjoy playing in a tribe you led, I very well might, but certainly can't say without having been in such a tribe. Low-key though wouldn't bother me, I'd have no issue playing under an alias and keeping that alias a secret even if a duke wanted their tribe to not have the world's attention early on. I'd only really ave an issue if said duke also demanded I grow slow intentionally or something silly to remain low-key :p

DeletedUser

No clue if I'd enjoy playing in a tribe you led, I very well might, but certainly can't say without having been in such a tribe. Low-key though wouldn't bother me, I'd have no issue playing under an alias and keeping that alias a secret even if a duke wanted their tribe to not have the world's attention early on. I'd only really ave an issue if said duke also demanded I grow slow intentionally or something silly to remain low-key :p

I can tell you personally (sorry for turning this in to a I love googly show)

I loved being in Googly's tribes. Not just because he's an awesome leader, but he knows how to assemble a great group of personalities and how to get everyone interacting together. I made more friends in the two tribes lead by googly than I did playing on all my other worlds/tribes combined. In the end the success we had was great, but I won't really remember that. I will remember the skype chats, making friends, and working so well as a team. I have never seen a tribe work so well together and I have been in great tribes but none was led the way Agency or DSy4.

SplitPersonality

Reaction score

As a counter example:

I just had to clarify that Noobs On Ice was not a co-duke of my tribe on W57, they took over with another player when i had to leave due to RL and within that time yes, the tribe was completely destroyed.

DeletedUser

I just had to clarify that Noobs On Ice was not a co-duke of my tribe on W57, they took over with another player when i had to leave due to RL and within that time yes, the tribe was completely destroyed.

Like I said...

Another player (you) set it up. They became co-dukes (I don't know the exact time-frame of events in your tribe so I didn't comment to avoid speaking a mis-truth).

I don't mind people posting in here to discuss the ideas presented, but I don't see a point in turning the focus on to specific cases when there is no real need to do so unless for use in examples.