Clarifying Insults - Ingame and Forums

DeletedUser

Dear Players,

Recently we have received tickets and forum reports about insults. We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a few points about communication, insults, and what will and will not be acceptable to help you avoid any potential problems. First, the specific rule:

§5) Communication

Insulting other players and the use of language in an abusive/offensive context is forbidden.

We do not accept profiles, player names, village names or any other publications that the Administration finds to be illegal, insulting, threatening, abusive, real-life-aggressive, sexual, politically incorrect, right extreme, religiously fanatic, racist or in any way inappropriate.

Advertising other games or moneymaking sites, or posting links to inappropriate content is forbidden.

Phishing or blackmailing players for passwords in any way is forbidden. Spamming other players with forwarded reports or constant in-game mails can be seen as abusive and is illegal.

So the question remains, what is insulting? That is a personal interpretation and could be confusing. We look at insults in two ways:

1. Public Insults or Shaming - via forum post or in game profile.
2. Personal Direct Insults - via ingame mail or private message.

With a public insult, we will be less tolerant. Publicly shaming a player in a way that is offensive, aggressive, and insulting will not be tolerated. Some examples are:

1. Player X is a big noob. I bet he lives in his mommy's basement and couldn't get a girlfriend.
2. Why dont you stop posting Player X. We all hate you and would be happy if you just went and jumped off a bridge.

Flaming someones gameplay is acceptable, however, understand our goal is to create an environment of fun and positivity. We want Tribalwars.us to be a place people go to have fun and get away from the stresses of life, not be stressed out by the game and the forums.

For gameplay flaming:

1. Mixed nukes, no churches, and a 10 second noble train, do you even know how to play? - Acceptable
2. You suck, you are such a noob. - Not acceptable.

Personal direct insults via in game mail and private message on the forums will be given slightly more latitude. Mails sent via these methods are not publicly shaming a player. But only slightly more latitude will be given. In general, the best rule of thumb is to keep all posts, mails, and flames as specific as possible to gameplay and not a general flaming of a person.

We hope this serves to give you some guidance. Please post all questions here and we can address them.

Happy Gaming!

The Tribalwars Team

DeletedUser

I was wondering if in-game forums fall under these rules as well on .us?

DeletedUser

Thanks for the clarification, on the .net server, they say, "go ask your duke to change it". :p I'm liking this place already!

DeletedUser

Now, if someone does a laundry lists of reasons stating you are a bad player, then calls you a noob, personally I would allow that. Some people really ask for it on these forums stating a lot of fallacies about how decently skilled they are, so if you can give a numerous amount of reasons, facts, stats, that show that they are in fact, a bad player, I think we'll be a little more lenient on calling them a noob. Just do not blatantly say, hey, you suck, etc, as Jesse gave an example of in his primary post.

Also, this may not be stated in the rules anywhere, unless I am mistaken, but if you are to go after a players credibility publicly, do not make things up. We monitor all posts that are anywhere near becoming a flame-fest, and if we find information that is deemed false about a players reputation and/or credibility, we will be much more strict on how we handle the posts. In an ideal world, everyone would flatter each other with praises and compliments, and give constructive criticism at times, but that is not the way TW works. Flaming happens and players get into arguments. We understand that, but if you are to get into such an argument, do not make things up or use false evidence to shame a player. It is unethical and unjust.

If you are unsure if your post will be tolerated or not, just don't post it.