Competition Banner Discussion

DeletedUser

If you haven't already noticed, we have a new Competition Banner that we will be testing for the next few competitions that we do. It is far from perfect, and that is clear. But we would like to know your opinions on it and any improvements that can be made or mistakes that you see with it.

For those that havent seen it yet, this is the first release of the banner and i hope to see many opinions of it.

bannerqb.jpg

So go ahead and give your thoughts. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It would be cool if there were to be a slightly less boring design for the background - the tribalwars theme makes it seem a bit too dull imo.
Also, I don't think there is any need for the "Search Posts" or "Search Threads" links in the Winner's Details. I think that header shouldn't be "Winner's Details", but purely "1st Place". It seems too mundane with that header currently, and there is no "1st place" used, just a 2nd and 3rd place. Should have the whole 3 imo. Also, I think that the writing to the right of the profile picture, should purely be a link to the person's name, and a lot larger writing. No "Name:", just the username and link.

I love the idea, and DEFINITELY think the Hall of Fame should be edited to have this for each past competition (hint hint).

DeletedUser

Once a few people give their opinions, i will make all changes possible, as i said....it is farrrrrrrrr from perfect :eek:

DeletedUser1446

Once a few people give their opinions, i will make all changes possible, as i said....it is farrrrrrrrr from perfect :eek:

It´s an awsome idea... With some time dedicated and some work done as you said it will be perfect!

Congratulations

DeletedUser

It would be cool if there were to be a slightly less boring design for the background - the tribalwars theme makes it seem a bit too dull imo.

If another style was used, it might look strange..er than it currently does :D

Also, I don't think there is any need for the "Search Posts" or "Search Threads" links in the Winner's Details. I think that header shouldn't be "Winner's Details", but purely "1st Place". It seems too mundane with that header currently, and there is no "1st place" used, just a 2nd and 3rd place. Should have the whole 3 imo.

The "Search Posts" and "Search Threads" i know they kinda suck being there, but since it was a first attempt of mine, i wanted to see what i was able to achieve.

As for the "Winner's Details" again, since it was my first, i just put what i thought would look good (yup i was wrong) but knew i might have to edit it later on.

Also, I think that the writing to the right of the profile picture, should purely be a link to the person's name, and a lot larger writing. No "Name:", just the username and link.

Yea, that will be sorted in v1.1 (whenever i finish the update and get it uploaded). Any other ideas of additions, if it is possible and sounds good, i will be happy to do it.

I love the idea, and DEFINITELY think the Hall of Fame should be edited to have this for each past competition (hint hint).

Glad to see it is being welcomed as much as it has. And what do you mean "and DEFINITELY think the Hall of Fame should be edited to have this for each past competition" I might be a bit tired or just not reading it correctly :eek:

It´s an awsome idea... With some time dedicated and some work done as you said it will be perfect!

Congratulations

Thanks

I have a fair amount of spare time currently, so i will be able to put quite some time into it.

I have just finished making some changes to it, an now i need a nap :D

DeletedUser

Glad to see it is being welcomed as much as it has. And what do you mean "and DEFINITELY think the Hall of Fame should be edited to have this for each past competition" I might be a bit tired or just not reading it correctly :eek:

It was a subtle suggestion to have all past competitions put on to the Hall of Fame as this banner, so that all the past competition winners feature in this banner as well. This sugesstion may possibly partially to feed my ego a little bit more :eek:

As far as the style goes - I can see your point. How about, as another suggestion, Que? uses his incredible artistic skill to make an image to go in the Competition Details section? The title basically explains what the competition is about, and an image of some sort may look quite nice there? Might be worth experimenting with that idea, as it could either look great or look awful - and that's before you test the image with the banner! (joke - you are a good image person, Caleb <3)

DeletedUser

How about, as another suggestion, Que? uses his incredible artistic skill to make an image to go in the Competition Details section? The title basically explains what the competition is about, and an image of some sort may look quite nice there? Might be worth experimenting with that idea, as it could either look great or look awful - and that's before you test the image with the banner!

You mean put an image on the background of the "Details" area?

Sorry if i am asking a foolish question. :eek:

DeletedUser

I can't think of a better way of explaining it. So you get a pretty image instead.

bannerot.jpg

Either something like this (the font would have to be on a layer above the image really, but as I was rushing this to roughly explain it I didn't bother sorting that out).

OR just having a pictorial description there. In this case, as the idea was based around an "easter egg hunt" sort of thing, albeit with clues as opposed to easter eggs, easter eggs were used as the image.

Just something to make it have a little more snazziness to it.

DeletedUser

Oh, as a side note:

Is there any way to remove some of the distortion around the writing?
All the text has some distortion that detracts from the overall image of the banner.

DeletedUser

I can't think of a better way of explaining it. So you get a pretty image instead.

bannerot.jpg

Either something like this (the font would have to be on a layer above the image really, but as I was rushing this to roughly explain it I didn't bother sorting that out).

OR just having a pictorial description there. In this case, as the idea was based around an "easter egg hunt" sort of thing, albeit with clues as opposed to easter eggs, easter eggs were used as the image.

Just something to make it have a little more snazziness to it.

I am having a few issues with that :eek: The code won't listen to me

Oh, as a side note:

Is there any way to remove some of the distortion around the writing?
All the text has some distortion that detracts from the overall image of the banner.

I will look into it...i see no distortion. :S

DeletedUser

I am having a few issues with that :eek: The code won't listen to me

I will look into it...i see no distortion. :S

It's to do with using a spoiler I think? The banner which you posted in the OP in the spoiler has distortion - the one on the site page doesn't. That's really weird o_O
Dunno about coding. If it's too tough, feel free to ignore the suggestion. It was just to add more color - pretty color makes for pretty sig!

DeletedUser

It's to do with using a spoiler I think? The banner which you posted in the OP in the spoiler has distortion - the one on the site page doesn't. That's really weird o_O

Yea, it is prob just the screenshot being stuupiiiddd.

Dunno about coding. If it's too tough, feel free to ignore the suggestion. It was just to add more color - pretty color makes for pretty sig!

If it doesn't make it into the next update of the banner, i will try to get it in to v1.2 as that idea was liked by a few people :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

I don't mean to break forum rules by correcting your grammar, but you can let me off in this case as it is an improvement that needs doing :D

There is an apostrophe that isn't needed in one of the headers, that I just noticed. "Other winner's" has no need of the apostrophe :p

DeletedUser

Perhaps incorporate the banners Caleb makes (I think its him) someway. It would make it more eye-catching and interesting. Also if the competition is to do with a literary or graphical piece, put that on it. :)

DeletedUser

are these "banners" gonna be displayed somewhere other than the thread???

DeletedUser

I recently turned off the most recent banner because:

1.It won't be on 24/7 unless members want it up that long.
2.I am preparing to update it to v1.1
3.I need to show [user]OFLOW[/user] how to use the new settings :D

Last edited by a moderator: