Double Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Now, I had made a very nice and long post tearing arguments up. Fortunately for you, I closed this by mistake. So I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

From the start, I wish to make it clear I have no issues with the moderation of the forums themselves, more the double standards that have taken over.

The forums rules state:
Animated pictures of any kind are prohibited; note that this includes the animated emoticons provided by the forum.

Please note that most moderators still play TW! They have as much a right to post in the capacity of a player as any other user on the forums. This means that outside their realm as a moderator, they are to be treated as you would treat any other player (see Manners section at the top).

Now, its clear that double standards have been adopted, for moderators to be allowed to use things that are otherwise illegal to the wider community is adopting the same argument as: I enforce the rules therefore I don't have to abide by them. The second part of the rules that I have taken is that a moderator is a normal community member with permission to moderate a specific/set of forum(s). As such, for them to be treated as "any other player" surely rules have to be adhered to?

Now, having read the other thread, dodging through the minefield of spam and pointless posts, I have selected some posts which need clarifying and replying to:

Inga no Kusari said:
This server is different, our mods can be seen by the avatars.
If a forum member can't tell that a person isn't a moderator by their name being a bright colour then an image will hardly help. Being honest with you, without making it compulsory for all mods to use animated avatars I can't see it working if you do make this rule.

u6s5l said:
There are numerous things wrong with what you're saying.

1) There is no "abuse of advantage". I highly doubt that anyone here will feel disproportionately disadvantaged in a way that will hurt them because they don't have an animated avatar.
Actually, there is a lot wrong with what your saying. Animated avatars are such a small point, however, they are an example of double standards, something which is simply wrong to exist. As somebody who should be treated as a normal forum member, other than the necessary tools needed to moderate your specific forum's nothing else is necessary. Having an animated avatar is actually in violation of the forum's rules - going without punishment for breaking the rules that your enforce is the part people have an issue with.

u6s5l said:
2) It is not unfair. Is it any less fair that our names are red, or that we are signified as moderators? I don't think so, do you? It is our job, and as we are volunteers, even volunteers in the real world gain some small perks with employers. If we have an animated avatar, is that so unfair? Those who work get paid, in the real world, and sometimes get discounts at their own places of employ. Does that mean that we should all get discounts? We don't get paid, so our tiny discount is a small perk that means little.
The reason your name is in red it so that you can be identified for being a moderator, that is necessary for your job to be done. I would also like to make a distinction between working and volunteering. Volunteering is working for no personal reward. Work you get paid for an are entitled to receive what your company offers. You are a volunteer hired by the CM, not InnoGames, you do not sign a contract nor are you paid, thus you are not entitled to receive any payment. Receiving a healthy amount of PP (and yes, I do know, I was a mod) is plenty for what is a voluntary role. As a normal member you applied to be a moderator knowing the reward would be PP - if you wanted something different for your work, why apply at all?

u6s5l said:
Let's assume then, that we are people getting paid in premium. The animated avatars are discounts at our place of employ. Once more, is this so unheard of? What possible detriment could it have on you that you don't have an "animated" avatar? If it doesn't affect you, as I'm sure it doesn't, why are you taking it upon yourself to argue?
The point being made is not that you have animated avatars, you seem to be looking at this in the wrong way. More it is of the double standards that occur. One rule for the community, another for the moderators - that is the fundamental issue that has arisen. As a volunteer, you a fortunate to receive PP, your analogy of the shop working is wrong as you are not employed. Its more like saying you volunteer at a charity shop and expect discount from their stuff - its just not right. You seem to expect that you should be above the ordinary forum go-ers.

u6s5l said:
In addition, as volunteers, we get premium perks, let's continue to assume. But once more, is an animated avatar something so terribly important that this perk is unfair enough that you must also have it, as users of the forum?
As volunteers, your entitled for nothing. I worked on these forums for longer than most here and numerous people will support me on this. I didn't do it for any personal gain or PP's - nor was I entitled to get them. I volunteered to help, just because I didn't get a title doesn't mean I'm less than you are. What annoys me is the moderators abusing the rules where it is clear that what they are doing is illegal as stated in the rules of the forum.

u6s5l said:
You completely misunderstood my answer, thinking that I am exerting some kind of power of "Well, what are you going to do about it?". Rather, I'm pointing out that I have not yet seen a single reason why your forum experience is significantly decreased because you can't have "animated avatars", and moderators can. All I've seen is that it's "unfair", and I'm fairly sure that you've all heard the expression "life is unfair". Even if that weren't enough, to simply say that the hours we put into the forums justify only premium that some of us might not even use as some of us might not even be playing any worlds is somewhat preposterous, considering that you're assuming we aren't allowed anything besides a single perk.
Expressing that "life is unfair" just shows the strength of your argument - flimsy to say the least. Unfair isn't the issue, neither are animated images. As I have said before and will say again, the issue is double standards and apparent different sets of rules.

u6s5l said:
Also, you're saying that the page will lag anyways...do you understand what you're implying? You're arguing that this is a big deal, that people are all going to agree that it is unfair and should be changed. In that case, if we allow it for everyone, each page will have 25 animated avatars. For people on their phones, and some with slower computers etc., the page will lag. We have, what, 7 people with more than regular user status? Unless you're assuming every page will have every post filled by a moderator, the lag will be nowhere near equal to how it would be if we allowed it for everyone, and that's a simply preposterous assumption.
A simple way to remove this unnecessary lag is to prevent the ability for anybody to do it. As often occurs, numerous moderators post in the same thread. On slower internet connections (e.g mobile phones) any animated images slow down the page load time. As they are not necessary for the moderators work to be carried out, why should a mod be entitled to this? Again, resolving to the double standards apparent in the forums.

u6s5l said:
I assure you, animated avatars are not nearly as "fun" as you seem to think. Again, you seem to be under the impression that we will strut around, like glorified peacocks, bragging about our "power" and our "animated avatars". Am I the only one who finds that laughable? I've spent the better part of a half hour trying to find an animated avatar that fits the requirements, and I assure you, it doesn't make all that much difference to me as a moderator. I'm fairly sure that it's not a big deal, and that you're simply discussing your feeling that you're not getting equal treatment...which is what generally happens when one person puts mountains of time into helping others. Be it karma, work perks, or a simple good feeling, if you put in mountains of time and get some premium that you may not even use and "animated avatars", is it that much to ask that you not complain that you want them too, when the detriments of that are already apparent?
If they are not all as "fun" as you make out, why do you use them? They're not necessary and as you are the only ones allowed to use them its clearly your ego requiring glorification. You even agree it makes no difference to your moderation so why not abide by the rules and remove it? Again, as I have previously said, when you applied to be a mod, you knew of the rewards, using the argument that you "might" not use PP is pointless. I am one of the people that has spent the most time here (and many will support me on this). I did it for no reward other than to help a community I have been a long standing member of.

u6s5l said:
I see your point, I simply don't agree. The moment you responded, you engaged in debate with me. I am not arguing, I bear no ill will towards you and I hope you don't harbor any towards me, but I simply don't agree. The world is not a fair place. Those who put their time and effort into something deserve a reward that doesn't depend on whether or not you play in-game, and animated avatars really aren't all that much. Once more, is it really worth it to be debating this right now?
So, based on your argument, I deserve a reward, any suggestions on what I am entitled to?

Googly said:
1. Do you feel that the moderators should have no perks, however tiny (like the animated avatars), for spending time to benefit the community?
2. Why do you say that the moderators are paid plenty of PP for the time they put in to managing the forums? You are in the very chat where a Moderator explained in the last couple of hours how they don't. I'm curious as to why you are making assumptions here?
No, I don't believe that moderators should have no perks, they do get a healthy amount of PP and volunteer to upkeep a community. However, they should be treated on the same level as the ordinary user and not have double standards existing.

As for the unsubstantial premium, as an ex-mod, I can assure you that the premium levels are healthy for a voluntary role. Ordinary forum posters do an equal role in the forums life, without them the forum's would be nothing - hence my argument for the removal of double standards.

Now, I haven't come here to argue, more to prove a point at the obnoxious attitude adapted by some. I have to say based on your views that you expect to receive awards I must question your reasons behind being a moderator?

Finally, I will leave you with this, in order to prove a point, I will be using an animated signature in the correct sizes. This is to remove the point of double standards. I want equality for all, one set of rules, up held and followed by all.

Please leave this thread open until the community manager has responded as I believe him to be the solo person able to define the rules and outline to the community the outline of this debate.

2ezoav9.gif

DeletedUser

First off I'd like to say I enjoyed reading this post. You made some great arguments. I'd just like to point out one thing.

RatedRR said:
No, I don't believe that moderators should have no perks, they do get a healthy amount of PP and volunteer to upkeep a community. However, they should be treated on the same level as the ordinary user and not have double standards existing.

As I understand it, the moderators of .us do not receive PP for their duties. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

DeletedUser623

Not gonna point fingers on the forums if you want to know ask me on skype

Nauzhror

Reaction score
funny, one told be yesterday that they did not get payed on .us :S

They do. But, it is Innogames policy that mods are not paid in premium until after they have been a moderator for three months. Whichever moderator you spoke to did not meet these requirements if they had not been given any premium thus far.

DeletedUser

I've never gotten any PP, but I'm new, don't expect any either. Don't know about the rest of them tho.

I'm kinda late to the party here and I'm decidedly underwhelmed by animated avatars. I even told the other mods they needed to get out more. :$ It all reeks of 1998 bulletin board systems to me. Yeah, I'm that old.

Valid points made OP, but I can't help but think of two words: who cares? I think both sides have gotten carried away on a trivial issue that doesn't affect what we're really here for - the game and the community. If such effort were exerted making the game and community a better place as was expended arguing this issue, such good could come of it. Instead we're wasting time and energy over something that really has no effect on anything.

Besides, I just want the blushing and rolly eye emotes from .net. :(

DeletedUser

I've never gotten any PP, but I'm new, don't expect any either. Don't know about the rest of them tho.

I'm kinda late to the party here and I'm decidedly underwhelmed by animated avatars. I even told the other mods they needed to get out more. :$ It all reeks of 1998 bulletin board systems to me. Yeah, I'm that old.

Valid points made OP, but I can't help but think of two words: who cares? I think both sides have gotten carried away on a trivial issue that doesn't affect what we're really here for - the game and the community. If such effort were exerted making the game and community a better place as was expended arguing this issue, such good could come of it. Instead we're wasting time and energy over something that really has no effect on anything.

Besides, I just want the blushing and rolly eye emotes from .net. :(

Agreed. We should be making an effort to change the (alongside other projects) mail system instead , a wise man suggested it and it's up to us as a community to tell InK and Wolfy exactly what to do! :D

DeletedUser

Yes the moderators do get paid in PP for their services - I'm sure the new CM will sort this out whenever he gets a chance. I dislike having different sets of rules and flimsy arguments defending them. Hence this post - nothing personal, I'm just one for change.

DeletedUser

Hmmm... after reading RR's post. I have once again switched sides in this argument. -.- Back to the players' side. Since it is after all, volunteering, not working. :D But doesn't PP technically count as "pay"? You have to BUY PP, which means that it is technically the online equivalent of money. o_O And..... on .net mods get paid, on .uk mods get paid, and I think that .us mods get paid.

DeletedUser

just because it happens on other servers it doesn't mean it happens here.

I have witnessed mods getting paid for doing work on the forums. Doubt it was in their normal duties as a Mod but they still got paid in PP...

DeletedUser

I have witnessed mods getting paid for doing work on the forums. Doubt it was in their normal duties as a Mod but they still got paid in PP...

I'm not saying they don't get payed, im saying its stupid to say "well it happens on other servers so it must happen here as well"

DeletedUser

Usually, TW in .de/.dk/.ro/.net/.uk/.es/.gr/.@( are all the same, and I've checked them all and played them too..

DeletedUser

it doesn't matter how many are the same (as you say). it's no reason to assume things about other servers because they're there in those servers

DeletedUser

it doesn't matter how many are the same (as you say). it's no reason to assume things about other servers because they're there in those servers

[sarcasm]Well it's not like we have the spear, the sword, the axe, the archer, the scout, the LC, the MA, and the machine gunner.[/sarcasm]

DeletedUser

i thought we were talking about the moderators on the external forums :S

Status
Not open for further replies.