Tribalwars Language Rules

DeletedUser

Quoted from http://www.tribalwars.us/rules

Tribal Wars is an English game. The use of other languages in game is forbidden. This means all profiles, mails, forum posts and any other publication must be in English.

A short phrase in another language is permitted, provided that this is translated to English either directly following or preceding it.

Creating a tribe exclusively for one nationality or language is strictly forbidden and may result in the tribe being disbanded.

This may seem a dumb question to some, but im hoping to raise the general issue more...

I want to create a forum for members of my tribe who speak different languages, just for general chat really between themselves. There are a lot of different nationalities on this server and im wondering how many of them are breaking the rules without even knowing. Say I have been mailed in game in Russian. Do i report the player?? :p

Would creating a forum for my tribe members to speak in there native language result in myself, or the members getting banned?

An official answer would be nice please, but also i would love to hear players thoughts on this. I agree with the standard language being English for mails, profiles ect. But believe the rules could be updated a little, its not fair imo for members who could communicate easily between themselves to have to struggle with some translations. Alot of the free translation sites arn't really that good.

DeletedUser

The most of the active members from US is coming from other servers to here. So i think it will be normal if everyone know the basic rules?

DeletedUser

I believe that, if you post in the forums in a foreign language, it is fine so long as with each post you provide an english translation of it.

DeletedUser

I believe that, if you post in the forums in a foreign language, it is fine so long as with each post you provide an english translation of it.

Googly is correct, it is acceptable to have a forum that has a foreign language in it, but every post must have the English language translation in it. If that translation does not occur, then it could result in the tribe being disbanded and the possibility of in game bans.

To address your statement about fairness of the forum language: One of the main purposes of having the forums in all English is for the benefit of the moderation team. As its the .us server, the moderators must be able to enforce the rules. Without being able to read what is written, we would be unable to determine if a post violates the rules. As the moderators are not paid, Innogames is kind enough to make the job as easy on us as possible by not having us try to translate foreign languages. In addition, those who have ever used a translator like google translate can attest to, they are not always very accurate.

Hope this helps to shed a little light on your question. Any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask the in game mod team.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

H From Steps, I am pretty sure if you make your own forum on another site for your tribe to use, its okay if it is not in English... (can a mod confirm this?)

Also, if you guys violate the rules in-game in your tribal forums, I believe the duke is approached and can be banned/punished as well as the players. OR you can be like Sie/AQ/*****/SieAQ on us1 that kept getting disbanded as punishment, then reforming under those different names :D

DeletedUser

H From Steps, I am pretty sure if you make your own forum on another site for your tribe to use, its okay if it is not in English... (can a mod confirm this?)

Yes, an external forum is allowed, we don't mod that :D

Also, if you guys violate the rules in-game in your tribal forums, I believe the duke is approached and can be banned/punished as well as the players.

The duke is approched if the tribe breaks the rules as it is his/her responsibility to keep the tribe following the rules.

DeletedUser1446

I think what we are talking about is allowing a in-game Forum to have like a Thread to "Foreign Language"... Isn´t it possible for a Forum to have one of those?? Like it´s 5% of a Forum ...??:D

DeletedUser

I think what we are talking about is allowing a in-game Forum to have like a Thread to "Foreign Language"... Isn´t it possible for a Forum to have one of those?? Like it´s 5% of a Forum ...??:D

That was the question, and the answer is only if the English language translation is provided in each post can a foreign language be used on any in game forum. If a tribe chose to create a forum outside of the game, then it would not be moderated by us at all.

DeletedUser1446

For example in Portuguese server in Off Topic we have foreign language...anyone can talk in other language without the translation... But it´s ok... i understand your rules;)

DeletedUser1446

No...that hurts...going away!!

Nope...fighting back :p
093.gif

DeletedUser

I think it's smart to have to do a translation and everything but it's too time consuming so I would just make an external account.

P.S I'm a professional pillow fighter so if things get out of hand with you two I might have to break up the fighting with some skills of my own

DeletedUser

Thankyou for the answers everyone, i had completely over looked the fact that the in game forums had to be moderated. I can imagine the work load is enough already without having to translate.

How far does the rule go though... Say a player has a foreign language word/phrase as there in game name, would there have to be a translation of the word/phrase on there profile. This could go more obscure, some phrases mean different things to different people from around the world, whats offensive to some could be funny to others.

Ive seen a lot of profiles in game and player names that i dont understand, as there in a language i dont speak. These players could be calling me a noob :(

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

In general, we do not worry with in game names unless they are reported as offensive or unless one of us recognizes that a word is offensive. Its not required to translate the in game name. Those are dealt with under a separate rule. All profiles must have the English translation to any foreign language text.

The best rule of thumb is that if it could be considered offensive, just avoid it. There is no value in just putting up things to troll for a reaction and ends up causing additional work.

DeletedUser

There is no value in just putting up things to troll for a reaction and ends up causing additional work.

I was more trying to raise the issue of how many players don't know the full rules. If the external forums isn't the place to raise issues/queries i have where is??

DeletedUser

You misunderstand, the statement was in relation to putting up offensive items in a profile. Your question was not only valid, but a good one that needed more clarification.

DeletedUser

The best thing to do, really, is just have google translate in the background, copy what you say in another language in to it, and paste the english version of it.
Got me through a GCSE in french :p