Catapult FAQ

DeletedUser

What do I need before I can make catapults?
Smithy lvl 12
Workshop lvl 2
HQ lvl 10 (required to build the workshop/smithy)
Research catapults in the smithy.

Can a village be completely destroyed (wiped off of the map) with catapults?
No.

What can I target with catapults?

Any building except for the hiding place or first church. Additional churches can be targeted.
The HQ, warehouse, and farm can be damaged but not completely destroyed. Both attacking and defending catapults will hit opposing troops, but you can't specify units to target.

Only one target may be selected.

How do I select a target for the catapults?
After preparing an attack, there is a drop down menu on the confirmation page before clicking the OK button.

Can I choose a new target once the army has been sent?
No. Once you've chosen a target on the confirmation page and clicked the OK button, it cannot be changed.

If the building I target doesn't exist, will the catapults target something else?
No. They will not damage any other buildings.

What happens when the farm is damaged and cannot support existing population?
The player cannot recruit new units or construct any new buildings other than the rally point, farm, or warehouse. In some situations the hiding place may still be upgraded.
Any recruitment or construction that was ordered prior to the damage (queued) will continue as normal.

What happens when I am expanding a building and it gets damaged?
It will upgrade one level upon completion.
Example: a level 24 timber camp is being upgraded to level 25, and then gets knocked down to level 18. When the workers are done with the expansion it will be level 19. All resources payed for the initial expansion will be used. Canceling the construction will only refund the resources needed for a lvl 19 expansion.

What happens if a recruitment building like the Barracks is destroyed?
Queued units will continue to be recruited, but at a much slower pace.

What happens when the rally point is destroyed?
The player cannot send away troops in that village or cancel attack/support orders from that village. Other villages may still withdraw defending troops and send support (which will arrive as normal).
Premium accounts can still view information about traveling troops via overviews.

What happens when the smithy is destroyed?
Any new units or buildings that explicitly require a smithy can not be bought (units that don't list a smithy lvl as a requirement, such as Light Cavalry, may still be recruited). Existing recruitment, construction, and research queues continue as normal. The village will maintain its existing technology levels.

If the prerequisites for an existing building are destroyed, can I still use it?
Yes. However, some of the uses may have requirements of their own.

Example: a village's smithy is destroyed. The workshop (requires lvl 10 smithy) would be able to recruit rams (only require lvl 1 workshop), but not catapults (require a lvl 12 smithy).

Does targeting the wall reduce attacker casualties by lowering the wall bonus?
No. However, damaging the wall will allow subsequent attacking armies to perform better.

which is more damaging to the wall: rams or catapults?
Rams

If I attack with rams and target the wall with my catapults, what happens?
The rams damage the wall and then the catapults do additional damage.

Example: The rams take the wall down to lvl 18. Then, the catapults attack the lvl 18 wall.

If all of my catapults are destroyed, can they still do damage?
Yes. Damage depends on the amount of catapults sent and the ratio of defensive power to attacking strength. The stronger the defensive army is compared to the attacking army, the less damage will be done.

If I don't send scouts, will I get information about catapult damage?
Yes.

Attacking scouts can be blocked by defending scouts to prevent espionage. Do catapults work similarly?
No. The only way to prevent catapult damage is to have a vastly larger army defending your village than the one attacking it.

Units have General defense, Archer defense, and Cavalry defense. Which category defends against catapults?
General defense
def.png

Are upgraded buildings more resistant to damage?
Yes.

If the village I'm attacking is defenseless, how much damage will my catapults do?
Does upgrading catapults make them do more damage to buildings?
Yes.

lvl 2 catapults are 25% stronger (taking only 940 to destroy an undefended lvl 30 building)
lvl 3 catapults are 40% stronger (taking only 839 to destroy an undefended lvl 30 building)

I see that it only takes 10 catapults to destroy an undefended lvl 3 building. How can I possibly protect all of my churches?
Churches are much more resilient than the other buildings. An attacker needs at least 600 catapults to destroy an undefended lvl 3 church.

cat_church.png

How long does it take to build a catapult?
At a game speed of 1, it takes 1:11:12 (~1.18 hours) with a lvl 2 workshop. With a lvl 15 workshop it takes 0:33:23 (~0.55 hours).
Higher game speeds take less time and lower game speeds take more time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Upgraded catapults are not on simple tech worlds (such as the ones on this server now).

DeletedUser

wow this being a great guide for newbies, there is only one mistake, and that isn't because you don't know but a typo mistake probably.
At the answer to first question, 12 level of Smithy required not 10, a mod can edit it. And here is another table shows you how many catapults needs to survive, to bring down building in a battle you have won. I made it for the Turkish server.

mancnk.png

it might be for level 3 though I can't recall

now I have tested these, I think I made this while I was drunk. There isn't a system like this but the numbers are close in a normal alike battle with 1/4 loss to 3/4

try using simulator to get better results

Last edited by a moderator: