Forum Questions

DeletedUser

After a couple of days, the Administrators finally finished what they have to do.

I would like to thank you guys for enabling the Avatars, and Signatures Feature.

But, I would like to know why is the Friends, and Groups List gone?

Why do we have a reputation system now, instead of the Title System?

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Not entirely sure on reasoning behind friends and groups being removed, but as far as post count based titles being replaced with the reputation system I'd say because a reputation system in general encourages good posting behavior, whereas titles based on number of posts encourages mass spamming to achieve the top title.

DeletedUser

Ok, thanks for the quick response.

Just let me know if you found out why was the Friends, and Groups List got removed.

DeletedUser

Not entirely sure on reasoning behind friends and groups being removed, but as far as post count based titles being replaced with the reputation system I'd say because a reputation system in general encourages good posting behavior, whereas titles based on number of posts encourages mass spamming to achieve the top title.
Do you know if its possible to remove rep from counting in the off-topic section like you do with posts?

/is so tempted to rant about how the rep system is so broken and always abused but I'll spare you guys because I already sound like the grumpy old man on these forums ;)

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Do you know if its possible to remove rep from counting in the off-topic section like you do with posts?

Not sure, but I like the idea.

pkiwarrior said:
/is so tempted to rant about how the rep system is so broken and always abused but I'll spare you guys because I already sound like the grumpy old man on these forums ;)

Eh, it was definitely badly abused on .net back in the day, hasn't been horribly abused thus far on .uk though in my opinion. (Not to say there has been no abuse there, just not anything remotely similar to the level that existed on .net before its removal from .net's forums.)

DeletedUser

Last time I checked, you could only approve with rep button.

DeletedUser

OMG, I'm such a noob in this Reputation System that I don't even know what I'm doing.

So, you up someone's rep by clicking the Statue right?

Then, how do you put it down?

-------------------

Also, regarding the Sub Forum for World 1 - W1 General Discussion.

When are you guys going to add it?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Oh...okie...^_^

-----------

Please add one..., at least later on the game.

^^

DeletedUser

To add to what Nauz said about abusing the system, when .uk first came out there were people who would just go around negatively repping people for absolutely no reason. It was so bad that they made a Poll just over a week into the server to try and fix it. The most popular option was just to disable negative reps and when Thar set up the forums he made it impossible for the same thing to happen here :)

As for general discussion sections, there are pros and cons to having them. Some .net worlds rely on them or there would be absolutely no forum activity but that I can't stand about them is they are often used a a place people can "safely" postwhore. The reason posts in off-topic don't count towards postcount is because people would just make threads like "count to 1000" which serve no other purpose than to increase postcount. Now its not uncommon to find similar threads scattered throughout the general sections of .net and you can see some posters who systematically visit each one daily to increase post count. When general discussion sections are used like that you might as well just enable post in off-topic :\

EDIT: @Nauz: The only reason the rep system isn't horribly abused right now on .uk is because its horribly inactive :D Its really just a novelty feature which people forget about after a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nauzhror

Reaction score
EDIT: @Nauz: The only reason the rep system isn't horribly abused right now on .uk is because its horribly inactive :D Its really just a novelty feature which people forget about after a few weeks.

Dunno, whenever I actually play a world there instead of just modding one my rep goes through the roof when I post anything pnp-esque.

Though...if neg repping was still available I'm sure it'd be counterbalanced by people neg repping me every time I infracted them. :p

DeletedUser

Dunno, whenever I actually play a world there instead of just modding one my rep goes through the roof when I post anything pnp-esque.

Though...if neg repping was still available I'm sure it'd be counterbalanced by people neg repping me every time I infracted them. :p
Oh come on lol. Go to the .uk forum member list and reorder it by rep. Tillyboy is still on the first page of highest repped posters and he hasn't logged into the forums since June 12, 2009 :rolleyes:

Now reorder the list by number of posts and there is a pretty good correlation between the two. I'd would bet that the list of top 30 posters in number of posts and rep would be nearly identical if posts in msg counted. This is why I originally suggested that if its possible to turn off rep in the off-topic section it would be worth considering ;)

Nauzhror

Reaction score
Oh come on lol. Go to the .uk forum member list and reorder it by rep. Tillyboy is still on the first page of highest repped posters and he hasn't logged into the forums since June 12, 2009 :rolleyes:

Now reorder the list by number of posts and there is a pretty good correlation between the two. I'd would bet that the list of top 30 posters in number of posts and rep would be nearly identical if posts in msg counted. This is why I originally suggested that if its possible to turn off rep in the off-topic section it would be worth considering ;)

You're probably right that MSG gives a lot of rep there. I have 2nd most posts on .uk (not counting MSG that I don't generally post in anyway). Have 6th highest rep, two above me are MSG spammers, one is Tracey, and one's an elder mod.

DeletedUser

LoL...

Nice Name

But I still prefer the classic - "OFF TOPICA".