Making it Different -

DeletedUser

I do apologize if this seems rushed or half thought out, or unfinished in any way. I'm doing this on a spur of the moment type of thing.

You want to attract players to .us? Make it differnet. The biggest problem right now is there is .net .uk .us .beta .whatever, so many differnet websites of the SAME game. Thats not counting the other rip off makes like travian, or greoplis(yes i know its owned by the same company), or evnoy, other others I can't think of. There are so many different, yet almost identical versions of this game floating out there right now that it will make it hard for people to be interested in joining unless there is a reason.

.net has the appeal of being so large that with so many differnet players that you could player 3-4 worlds and make thousands of friends.

the ones based in other non-english speaking countries have the appeal of home language, easer for the non-english players to understand and learn in.

.uk, i've not checked their membership rankings but I can't imagen they are pulling in lots of people specially with .net being around, .uk is more for the players who used to play .net and don't like having to deal with so many people.

So what does .us have? Ok you say its the american one. Yes and ? That doesn't mean jack on the internet, the internet doesn't really have alot of ... country boarders. So your going to have trouble finding people to sign up and play with serious intent other then maybe some burn outs from .net looking for a resort world they can play with out any real effort. If thats what your looking for then fill free to ignore my post.

My suggestion is.. make the worlds DIFFERENT.

example.

World speed: 1.0
Unit speed: 1.0
Units
This world has archers and the paladin available.
Other settings
* Awards are available.
* Noblemen are purchased using coins system.
* Tech upgrades are available using the simple tech system.
* This world has churches activated.
* The beginner protection period is set to 5 days.
* Morale is based on points and time on the world.
* It is possible to choose your starting direction.
* The tribe member limit is set to 120.
* Barbarian villages grow up to 1500 points.

Thats your world one settings, the FIRST post in the thread is "Typical world" meaning boring...

How about you mix up the settings, and make it so there is an acheivement for "game end".

Map Size:4000x4000(so 4x4's instead of 10x10)
World speed: .75 to 1.25(Every month on the first at server reset time its changed to either .75/1.0/1.25)
Unit speed: 1.0(if you can't do world speed changing then troop speed changing)
Units
Only Offensive unts(or only Deffensive units)
Up to 5 Pally's

Other settings
* Noblemen are purchased using coins system.
* 10 tech but limited. (Like the Normal tech 15 tech points is.)
* The beginner protection period is set to 0 days the first week, 1 day the 2nd week, 3 days 3rd week.
* The tribe member limit is set to 100.
* Barbarian villages grow, but to a random point between 1k - 3k.(meaning some will grow to 3k others wont.)

* Game Winning mode: first tribe to have 80% domination of the world.(tribal villages/total active villages)

Maybe not something completely crazy like that the first go, but you get the idea, mix it up, show them things they've not seen, the experienced players away from the other sites so they can play that one "awesome" settings world. Create the end game. That so many of these worlds(Except speed and "classic" on .net) don't have, make it the reason .us is so popular.

Game ending ideas:

Single tribe domination(70-90% of the worlds active villages)
Player Domination(single player with 35% or more of the active villages)
K control(tribe that has 100% ownership of 50% of the worlds K's)
- if a world as 16 K's, and a tribe has 8's with 100% domination(meaning they are the only ones with villages in that K), they could easly have less then 50% of the worlds active villages if majority of the villages in the K's they own are barbs.
Point cap - First tribe to reach x amount of points(x being a very high value)

Simple things like that, that you mainly see in speed worlds, or classic worlds that people don't usually join because if they can't afford prem or don't get in when its free to join.

Also game twist, like

Ranking is done completely by oda/odd/odt - no ranking showing villages/points.
Only offensive troops, or only Deffensive troops.
Higher limits on village buildings, or lower limits on village buildings
More the one Pally.
Differnet size maps
Rotating game/troop speeds.
Random barb/bonus growth size
flux new player protection based on joining time.
Reverse joining(instead of starting at the middle working out start on the out and go in)
Joining with more the 1 village(ie when you join the world you have 2, 5, 8, 10, 15 villages)
- additional options with this one is all villages start in a cluster together/are spread out based on random selection.
Randome events happen (basicly through out the world random things will happen to cause greif/happyness)
- plague(anything from troops fight at less then 100%, to troops slowly die/disapear)
- Earthquake/Floods/tornadoes/bad storms - building losses each storm does specific damages.
- - Earthquakes - HQ's/Walls/barracks
- - Floods - Farms/resurces/warehouses
- - Tornadoes - walls/barraks/stables
- - bad storms - smithy/workshop/markets
- planet shifting/solar activities( changes in troop speed while attacking/changes in game speed)
- Martyers ( increases troops moral/fighting)
- Glory periods (period of time when village populations are increased.)
- dark ages (period of time when villages pops are decreased.)
- Industral periods (increase building productivity/recruiting productivity with out game speed change)

... ok running out of ideas now but really the main idea is don't be a bland tribalwars website, make your worlds differnet and enjoyable. Yes some of the crazy settings people wont like, but if the worlds were unique I'm sure more will come and try them out.

DeletedUser173

I like the ideas, but some aren't possible like an only offense and defense. (spear nukes, rly?)

DeletedUser173

Are HC considered off as well? If so, in offense, all HC def.

DeletedUser

You want to attract players to .us? Make it different. The biggest problem right now is there is .net .uk .us .beta .whatever, so many different websites of the SAME game. Thats not counting the other rip off makes like travian, or greoplis(yes i know its owned by the same company), or evony, other others I can't think of. There are so many different, yet almost identical versions of this game floating out there right now that it will make it hard for people to be interested in joining unless there is a reason.f the villages in the K's they own are barbs.
But it is the same game... its not supposed to be different.

Nauzhror

Reaction score
But it is the same game... its not supposed to be different.

I'd disagree. It's the same game, but that doesn't mean all versions shouldn't aim to be unique from each other. I don't know for sure what .us's goals are, but I can promise you that .uk at the very least does not aim to be a .net clone.

@Dauthi: W1's settings are indeed 'cookie cutter', but W1 on every server has been and always will be. That's solely because community managers have no say in W1's settings and have them directly handed to by Innogames. Not sure if we (.us Team collectively) will have any say in W2's settings, but know that the .uk Team did not have any say in the settings till W3.

DeletedUser

I'd disagree. It's the same game, but that doesn't mean all versions shouldn't aim to be unique from each other. I don't know for sure what .us's goals are, but I can promise you that .uk at the very least does not aim to be a .net clone.
If I was forced to choose either .net or .uk what sort of things would I need to take into an account to base my decision on? I know .uk has a few different rules, different scripts and a night bonus. Is there anything else? (Its been months since I stopped following that server so I really don't know). Those are all very minor when compared to the game changing features suggested by the OP. Some of his ideas are neat and I'd definitely this server over others because of them.

DeletedUser

Check out W5 of uk that is starting the 1st of June you can say that one is different :)

DeletedUser

I've actualy considered joining ukw5 because of the differnet settings, but I was talking to some people and while not all of them options above are possible I know some of them are, and there are alot of interesting little ways you -could- twist things.

the changing of world speed/troops speed mid game is done in test worlds all the time, so it can be done in a real world if someone bothered.

they can up or lower the max building number, if they wanted

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q416/mattcurr/Untitled-1-29.jpg

and if they can do that, then that leads to the question of, can they make it so villages are limited by points instead of buildings.

Example: Max village size = 10,000 points, so while you have one village with lvl 30 resources, and lvl 30 barracks, and lvl 40 farm, and no stable, and no workshop, you could have a 2nd village with lvl 25 work shop, lvl 30 rescources, with a lvl 35 clay, and lvl 35 farm(pally+bonfire), or what ever... basicly making it so the player has to design each village for a specific task, like his offensive villages will have such and such and his D village these instead.

Imagen how much all our strats would have to change, how much more planning/personalization you would have to do on your account, but such a simple change.(and if its not something that -can- be done yet talk to the game programmers it can't be that hard to change really. This is a web based game using php. )

Pkiwarrior,

the game is the same, but really are you telling me that .us is nothing more then a extention of .net ? and that w1 should really be called w51? Cause if thats all that this site is, a copy clone then why waist our time and effort?

DeletedUser

One of the things people have been pushing for a long time is the possibility of a smaller map size. It really wouldn't change the way the game is played much but I know I'd enjoy it more if I knew I wouldn't have to play for 4+ years in order to "win" a world. A map size of 36 continents (this would still take a while to "win") or some people have gone as low as 16. If there was one thing I could change I think this would be it. I think you mentioned a smaller map somewhere in your first post as well.

Pkiwarrior,

the game is the same, but really are you telling me that .us is nothing more then a extention of .net ? and that w1 should really be called w51? Cause if thats all that this site is, a copy clone then why waist our time and effort?
As of right now, I do believe it is just an extension of the other versions. Nearly everyone on the forums right now comes from another server. It will take a while for this server to develop it's own player base and "feel." Right now its a mixing pot of different servers including .net forum rules, .uk scripts and the new premium system. Once a CM is hired they can adjust these things for this server (besides the premium). Now why am I wasting my time and effort here? I'm here because its a new server and its interesting right now... I can't say I'll be here long-term. :D Now, why are you here? :p

DeletedUser

I'd have to agree that there isn't really a "reason" for outsiders to join the .US version if .net is out there and all those other games - therefore something should be different.

But believe it or not, people don't join because of the world settings. Only people who know Tribalwars and played in different versions care about the world settings.

Other people, outsiders as you may call them, if they don't like .net, they wouldn't come here due to different world settings. It's usually the whole concept and gameplay which they like or dislike. Sometimes it's the graphics, sometimes it's the fact the game is starving for money, for example every action you make lets you get the action done faster for a few bucks.

I believe the .US version isn't to get Americans to play, they will just find .net, but actually to get the .net people to play. After all, it wouldn't be fair having a different version for each country but none for the US. Although some say .net is the US version, but actually, it's more like an international version therefore not quite a US version.