Mass Debating Competition

DeletedUser

Dear W4 Community,

Over the past few weeks, I have been reading this forum with increased frustration. The debating within this forum is currently quite lacking. As such, I have come up with a, hopefully fun, idea which will not only test the ability of each one of you who chooses to put yourself forward for this, but also potentially help improve on the quality of the debating of this forum.

As such, I am setting up a Mass Debating Competition.

You may wonder, "what is in it for me?"

1st place will receive 600 premium points
2nd place will receive 400 premium points
3rd place will receive 200 premium points

Thank you Or-el for offering to provide premium rewards!

I will quickly lay out how this will work. The first 8 people who choose to participate, can enter. Should more than that be interested, the set-up will be changed slightly.

Each person will be paired against another at random. For each of your pairs, you will be given a topic, and 2 days to prepare an argument for it. All arguments will be posted up for forum viewing in a locked thread, and the contestants are given the opportunity to rebuke the argument of the other person. This will be posted after a further 2 days, and then the round will be open to discussion by the general public. The judging panel will mark each argument and the winner of each pair will progress to the next round.

Myself, and 2 guest judges (which will be announced once the competition is ready to begin), will mark each argument based on 3 things:

1) The quality of the argument.
2) The amount of logical reasoning within it.
3) The style of the argument.

With 8 participants, there will be 3 rounds.

The Quarter Finals
The Semi Finals
The Final

A "battle for third place" round will also occur.

The general set-up of the competition is subject to change if more than 8 people are interested.

Rules - Added by u6s5l.

All forum rules apply. That means:

• No grammar/spelling flames allowed.
  • No personal insults allowed.
  • Keep it clean, no inappropriate language.
  • No otherwise inappropriate pictures or things like that.

Keep in mind that I can't cover it all, so assume all forum rules apply and it should go alright. Any questions, feel free to come to me. Also, if you do break a rule, I will simply remove only the offending part from your post, or edit it to not be rule-breaking, and give you a punishment. I will not remove the whole post, so you will not lose your arguments.

If you are interested, please post here and keep an eye on the first post of the thread.

Competition Entrants

The Competition Rules
1. All forum rules apply.
2. No outside help is allowed to be looked for.
3. You may not share with anybody what your topic is until the winner of that round is announced.

Instructions for Competitors
Each Monday, you will receive a mail.
In this mail, is the topic you are debating, and whether you are debating for or against this topic.
You have 48 hours from the time of receiving this mail to reply to it with your initial statement.
All pairs of statements will be posted in a thread. Each individual then has a further 48 hours to send Googly a rebuttal via mail. After the deadline, these join the posts of your topic. This is then open for public discussion, and a post will be made stating the winner(s) of each round.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

We have a first debater!

I'll be keeping people posted every couple of days via mail, until the competition is ready to get underway :)

DeletedUser

I would add my name, but I think it would be bad form for me to join as I moderate the forums and also don't need the premium. However, I personally will contribute 2 months premium to the second place winner, and 1 month of premium to the third place winner (all for this forum).

That's right, that means the prizes will be:

1st place - 600 premium points
2nd place - 400 premium points
3rd place - 200 premium points

Googly will run a "bronze match" for the two who lose in the semi-finals to decide who wins 3rd place.

All premium comes from my account for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places, so please make sure I spent it to see good debates ;).

DeletedUser

Thanks very much Or-el :)

We've discussed how best to run the competition, and as such will be slightly altering the way in which the competition works to allow for a fairer system!

DeletedUser

this requires excelent english, doesnt it?

Not necessarily. As a lot of people on this forum do not have english as their first language, so long as the points being made are understandable, then there won't be an issue.

However, having said that - having a strong grasp at the language is definitely a benefit.

DeletedUser

Count me in I'll have a go and see how I go :p is there a word limit for the debte? Or will rules come?

DeletedUser

Any idea what the topics will be on? :)

But count me in:D

DeletedUser

@Spearnuke: Once we have enough people for the competition to begin, the full rules will be announced.

@IWinULose: The topics will not be known by anybody outside of the judging panel, until the competition begins.

Adding you both to the list :)

DeletedUser

I am potentially interested, but I just have the vision of 10,000 word posts that go on and on :) Like SpearNuke, I'd like to know if there is going to be some limit to keep this dynamic and engaging :)

Awesome idea, though!

DeletedUser

I am potentially interested, but I just have the vision of 10,000 word posts that go on and on :) Like SpearNuke, I'd like to know if there is going to be some limit to keep this dynamic and engaging :)

Awesome idea, though!

It would be impractical to allow lengthy arguments. I cannot give the entire rules just yet as they haven't been finalized yet, however I can confirm that there will be a word cap.

BETTO III - welcome to the competition :)