Mass Debating Competition

DeletedUser

Owing to slight timing issues, the competition will be starting on Monday 19th September.

DeletedUser2069

I was told I needed to take part in this but its full so yay for me :p

Edit:: I will not Debate with the great googly because his sig says it all

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I was told I needed to take part in this but its full so yay for me :p

Edit:: I will not Debate with the great googly because his sig says it all

Any even number of entrants will work :p

Also, I'm not entering - I'm just (with help) running and judging this little competition :)

DeletedUser

Can someone start their argument off with Friends, Romans, Countrymen

DeletedUser

If anybody starts it off with "I have a dream", it'll be plagurism :p

DeletedUser

A question

Will the debate be 1 post by each of the 2 people, or would it be a continuous debate with several replies?

DeletedUser

From what I understand, for each pair, each contestant will make one argument, and then they have a chance to make a rebuttal for their opponent's argument.

DeletedUser

Right now, we believe there will be opening statements, then a rebuttal from both sides, and another rebuttal from both sides, then the round will close for the judges to pick the winner. That's just what I have been told (as I have to keep up-to-date with how the competition will work to help mod it), but it's not finalized.

DeletedUser

What u6s5l. said is correct.

Each person will be paired up with another.

These people will each receive via mail, a topic to debate, plus whether they are "for" or "against".

They both get given 48 hours from receiving this mail to reply to it with their initial statement.

Then, once a thread goes up with these statements, each person gets a further 48 hours to respond/rebuke the other person's statement (ie, debate it), and then once more after this (so, 1 statement per person, and 2 rebuttals for each statement).

After that, the round closes and is open for judging.

It's been done this way to allow it to be fair to both parties in each pair - if one person does a statement to start it off, then that gives them an unfair edge over the other person. So it was set up in this manner to make it as fair as possible to all competitors.

DeletedUser

Today is indeed the day!

The competition will be starting within the next hour - mails will be sent to each participant. Unfortunately, we have an odd number of people who wished to join this competition, and as such there is no way to include the 9th entrant. Should someone else put themselves forward within an hour, I can put them in as well :)

The essential rules:

-ALL forum rules apply
-No more than 5 paragraphs. Statistics and images do *not* count in this.
-Paragraphs are a necessity (to allow for it to be easy to read the arguments put forward).
-The first mail sent back to myself with an opening argument is the one which shall be used for the competition.
~Googly