Mass Debating Competition

DeletedUser2069

Ahh
Wasnt sure if you tossed me in or not due to the last post I did saying I was told I needed to be in this lol

DeletedUser

Note: I will lock this thread now. From now on, the only posts in this thread will be from those who are posting their arguments. After the arguments are all posted, the thread will be unlocked for discussion, until the next round begins. If you'd like to discuss in an entirely separate thread for the entirety of the tournament, feel free to make a new one and keep it in there for the entire competition.

DeletedUser

First round of arguments:

1. Playing with more defensive villages than offensive villages stunts your potential growth.
FOR: e2ekiel
Playing with more defensive villages than offensive villages stunts your potential growth. - True

The difference in defensive players and offensive players is fairly evident. If one looks at these differences more in-depth, there are 2 key reasons why being a defensive player can slow your potential growth, whereas being an offensive player, can boost your potential growth. The main advantage of an offensive player is the fact that they can, well, be offensive. The "2 key reasons" branch off of this fact. Firstly, having offensive troops means a higher potential to control your area, especially at start up. Secondly, being an offensive player means that you are much more likely to be successful at nobling higher-point player villages.

Offensive players can control their area more effectively. It's been proven again and again that an offensive player will always defeat defensive player for several reasons. To win a fight, you have to progress (ie: ennobling villages). Offense is made to progress while defense is made to halt others from progressing (mainly against you). A defensive player can't effectively retaliate, resulting in more active opponents in the area, resulting in less farms, and therefore slowing growth since we can all agree farming is what separates the high-ranking players from the low-ranking players.

A perfect example of this is me, and a friend of mine named Aleeex. Until one of us conquered their first village (which he did first), our amount of farming was relatively the same. I even surpassed his points for a decent period of time. However, I played defensively, and he played offensively.

Date_________Player___Tribe___Ranking_Points_Villages
2011-07-14___e2ekiel__Ticket__736.__69_______1
2011-07-14___Aleeex___Ticket__209.__91_______1

2011-08-04___e2ekiel__Ticket__170.__+1,319__=1
2011-08-04___Aleeex___Ticket__275.__+1,089__=1

2011-08-15___e2ekiel__Ticket__246.__+2,091__=1__=5,378___=5,378
2011-08-15___Aleeex___Ticket__50.___+3,763__=1__=4,258___=3,840

2011-08-17___e2ekiel__Ticket__239.__+2,298__=1__=5,378___=5,378
2011-08-17___Aleeex___Ticket__43.___+5,033__+2__+18,837__+12,462

As you can see, from 2011-08-15 to 2011-08-17 there is a huge increase in ODA for Aleeex, as he takes his second village, from a near-by player, something which takes me another 3 weeks, due to the fact that I was not able to clear a village, and even when I did ennoble a village, it was an internal ennoblement.

image.php
image.php

In conclusion, during the conquering of a player's first village, and the time period after that, being an offensive player automatically places you at an advantage, because you are able to progress, while defensive players, in a general sense, cannot.
AGAINST: lopinoman
Playing with more defensive villages than offensive villages does not stunt your growth. This theory which has been around for a long time on many worlds is false. Whether you start early on as a defensive player or later on when you noble multiple villages, it makes no difference to the fact that it will not stunt your growth but, can actually help you succeed in this game where war never ends.

When you start out as a defensive player, this can actually make you grow faster as the players troops are primarily made of swords and spears. As it is a general fact, when a player starts he/she first creates spear men to farm as they can haul the most until you create Lc or Hc. Spear men will haul up to 25 resource per spearmen, and 4 spear men can haul more then 1Lc which uses the same amount of villagers. Even if a player is offense, he still needs to make spearmen to farm but then he wastes those spear men but creating axe men which can slow you down because if you are a defense player you do not need to get rid of your spearmen later on, you can still keep them. Defense players also have the advantage of the fact that they can defend themselves when another player attacks.
For example:
If Player D is a defense player and player O is an offense player and Player D and O have the same experience or close to. When player O attacks player D, his troops will be cleared which slows him or her down more then the defensive player. Even if player D started after player O, player D will have the advantage of defense of his/her side. Another thing is that if player D got there internet connection cut off and 3 days later come on to find they are a farm, they can build defense, send there troops out until they are strong enough to defend against that attacker and then continue to defend against any other threats nearby.

When a player conquers multiple villages and make most of those villages defense, it will ensure there safety. This will not in anyway stop your growth our slow you down. You will have defense for your villages when a player attacks and you will not worry about being cleared so easily which allows you to counter attack from your offense village. Let us use the example for player D and player O again.
Ex:
Once again player D is a defensive player and player O is a offense player. Both players have 8 villages
Player D has 6 defense and 2 offense villages. Player O has 6 offense and 2 defense.
Player O decides to attack Player D but player D sends defense to that village which is being attacked and Player O loses all his troops. Player O which is offense gets mad and sends another attack but once again Player D, the defense player wins with his defense. Player D now is able to counter attack and to his advantage player O lost alot of troops trying to defeat player D.

Now what this means is that Player O will be slowed down while Player D can still grow. It has never been proven that defense will stunt your growth but it has been proven that defense has helped alot of players grow and continue to grow. There are players that play defense and have become very successful. Having more defense villages will not and has not been proven to stunt your growth but in fact has been able to help those defense players reach high success.

2. Nobling barbarian villages is a sign of weakness.
FOR: stiven97lol
Well, well, well. Are you nobling barbs? I thought you were a good player! But now I see that you are weak and cant even noble a protected, active village. So you decide to noble an unprotected, unharmful barb that will cost you nothing. Nobling Barbarian Village is a total sign of weakness.

Anyone can noble a barb, even a biggest noob. You can just send 100 axes with a noble four times and there we go, you have a vill. Real strong players wouldn't do that. They would spend 4 nukes to get a good village.
AGAINST: sorryyougotnuked
This is my opening statement

The most common way to poke fun at and make fun of someone is if they noble a barb.
You may ask yourself why may this be? Because people think that it makes them look weak for taking the easy way out.
But is nobling a barb always a sign of weakness? NO!!!!!!

I'll set a scene up for you:
You have about 50 villages and you have say 3 noble trains. But a guy who is very close to you has 74 villages and you have been wanting to get into a conflict with him so you can try taking his villages, but then he quits because he got bored of the world. Now all of his villages are barbs, so now what are you gonna do? Your gonna take them!! Wouldn't you? The guy had an average of 9.600 points per village. Now you have an easy shot at taking 70 extra villages without having interference like someone backtiming you, or prenobling, or stacking, etc. They are free, uncontrolled villages now.

I would never call someone weak for wanting to take 70 villages without losing much troops. That would be SWEET.

Nobling barbs is only a sign of weakness if you are nobling small ones that are < 3000 points.

There is no shame at all to take a strong village without losing any troops, that would actually make you alot stronger because now you have another village you can make troops from and use the resources of to make more coins/store more resources for your noblemen and you didn't even lose troops to take it

This is the end of my Opening Statement.

3. In times of war, an entire tribe should focus only on eliminating the enemy.
FOR: SpearNuke
Judges, Public, Forum-Goers, I believe that during times of war, an entire tribe should only focus on eliminating the enemy. I believe that this is the only sensible thing to say! What kind of player is one that would not go with his tribe and decide to noble someone else? Have you? Maybe you should question yourself and ask if you help your tribe enough. From my experience in playing Tribal Wars and being in strong tribes, I have seen how much damage one single tribe can do if they all drop what they are doing and help in eliminating the enemy.

To start with, I would like to show the importance of solely nobling just the enemies. I’ve got a question for you to ask yourself, would you go against your tribe and noble someone else? If you have answered yes, if I was your duke I would be having second thoughts. Well I’m sure your all thinking about these questions, but you may ask what proof, experience or facts I have. Well here is a map and I will show you a scenario:

WET.B52s.Bush_map.png
The image that you are looking at is a map from the W52 (.net) blog. It shows WET, B52s and Bush. For the sake of this let’s just say that B52s and WET is at war. By looking at the map these tribes have roughly the same amount of villages and they both are bordering Bush. Now, if B52s decide to launch an operation (OP) on WET and half of them decide not to participate and to instead noble a few of Bush’s players what do you think would happen? Don’t know? Well I’ll tell you. WET will counter attack on B52s but they would of lost most if not all of their troops nobling someone who isn’t their enemy.

I hope you have all put all the pieces together and realized that going against your tribe and deciding to noble someone that is not your enemy is completely ridiculous. I strongly believe that during times of war, tribes should ONLY focus on eliminating the enemy, for these reasons and the many more to come.
AGAINST: IWinULose.
In this essay, I will be explaining why in a war, there is no need to focus entirely on the enemy. You can slowly work your way up, to finally take them down.

Firstly, is the distance factor. If a tribe has declared on you, thinking they have a chance, fair enough. However, distance will play a big part in a war. Even if you time a noble train to perfection, with only mili seconds separating them; the enemy have a massive advantage to defend against you. For one, the rest of the tribe will have a lot of time to send support, a tribe with 40 members, sending 200 sword and 200 spear each, will mount into a large some of 8000spear, 8000sword and the players own troops. Counting this factor, the chances of defending against a train is much higher. Also, if the tribe has selective 'skilled' members, they could try and snipe the train... even if one person failed, there could be a large number of other players, that might be able to master the snipe. Secondly, if it was a start game war, where players would only have 1 village, it will personally slow your growth if you join in with the war. Later game, there will be time for war and you will have a bigger advantage. If you have 1 village in a war, you will either be defensive or offensive, and getting into trouble could be disastrous at this stage as your chances of losing your village are greater - to the enemy or to local players. In addition, focussing on enemy players, would make you lose concentration on your own area. There are chances that you have other strong players in your 15x15, 20x20, 30x30 etc. And, as I stated in my previous point, it would be disastrous to lose your village at this stage, due to an immature tribe leader declaring war on your/there tribe.

Thank you for reading my argument against focussing only on the enemy tribe during a war, and I hope you take my points into deep consideration.

4. The best defense, is a good offense.
FOR: BETTO III
Arguably, Defence is this best tactic in Tribal Wars, I, along with Thousands of other players use defence in every type of situation. Whether it's farming, supporting, sniping, or just simply defending your own village. This essay going to be a top class powerhouse argument on why defence is better than offence.

Firstly, start up, always determines your growth in a world., and the best way to grow quickly, is to farm. Spear - the first unit you get. Great at defence and also is very strong at farming, you can get this troop, all for a small amount of resources. Ask any SENSIBLE type of player, and they will tell you, the best start up strategy is too build up spear straight away. Send spear to a village, let the resources come back, and rebuild those spear, until you have a large number. Secondly, those special tactics that people struggle with, can be mastered with defence easily. Sniping, being the main one. The definition of sniping, is in simple terms, sending support to a village with a noble train incoming, with the support hitting between the nobles. This is easily mastered whether its a mili second gap train, or more. Let's put the situation in perspective: A friend has nobles incoming and he requests support off you. Your troops have plenty of time, so you try it with 100 cats, 1000 spear, 1000 sword, 100 heavy cavalry. Due to each troop having different speeds, you may start with cats, as they are the slowest troop, then failing that try it with swords, then spear, then heavy cavalry etc. Until you hit one in time. Congratulations, your troops have landed in between a noble, and you have killed there noble and any more that were following. Therefore you could have just saved a friends last village....whereas even with offence...your troops would still die and your friend would get nobled. My final point will be the simplest use of defence in tribal wars. Supporting. Whatever game stage your in supporting is key, if your defence and a friend offence, your friend can clear players while you support him when he gets losses. Also if you are attacked and on the off chance of being cleared, your friend can attack the guy to make a new farm for you.

Thank you for reading, and I hope that I convinced you a great deal with this Debate.
AGAINST: Matagot
(Against)The best defense, is a good offense.

[J]Analogies.
For browser based game tribalwars has a fairly complex system around and within it. It demands continuous adaptation skills from a player who wishes to be successful. Same as in life we make decisions according to situation we are in, so we can gain what’s best for us and/or our group. I could draw multiple analogies regarding this between tribalwars and real life.

• If you move from hot and sunny Spain to Antarctica, it wouldn’t be advised to fulfill your usual jogging route in shorts and light t-shirt. You might just end up frozen and dead.
• If you drive to work and see that the road is closed due to construction works, you wouldn’t wait for two weeks for them to be done, you would look for alternatives and thus adjust to situation.

How about this situation? Imagine that you are in a desert with your best mate. Both of you are doing alright, you have enough food and drinks to reach the desired destination. As your mate has such a great vision he notices lions 500m upfront, partying near the bush. His father taught him to follow some certain notions that worked like charm for him 50 years ago. One of those notions is: “The best defense, is a good offense”. Your mate says that the lions might attack both of you, so he shouts out loud his father’s favorite motto and runs towards the lions. In some situations these lions might be injured and weak, so they would run away, but in this case they were especially angry and aggressive bunch, they eat your mate, when they are finished with him, they track you down… So what good did it do to him and you? Both of you could have tried to get past the lions unseen. Now substitute desert with tribalwars world, your mate with your tribemates, mates father with a bad guide, and lions with the top tribe in the world, same situation. It would lead to your tribe’s annihilation. While you could have evaluated the situation and gone down the diplomacy road and dig a pit for your enemies to fall in.

Vulnerable attacker and consequences.

• Gives away information.
• Exposed to counter attacks.
• Stalled growth.
• Lost edge on neighbors.
• Damaged morale which might lead to restart.

Imagine you try to rob a bank. You think to yourself: “No one will ever catch me. I’m too smart, too good.” You hit the bank, get the money and run for your life. You think you’ve done it, until you see cops on your tail. You have a fast car, you can get away, just loose the tail for a while and get on plane, after that enjoy your time in Antarctica. Everything goes according to plan, only problem is that cops are already waiting for you in airport - busted. The END. So what happened in TW terms? You attacked a larger village, took the resources and had a happy grin on your face. Suddenly you see bunch of attacks from the victims tribemates, he must have asked for help. You don’t worry too much until you notice that those attacks land ms after your troops get back home, you have been backtimed and catted. Attacker is vulnerable. He gives away information about his troops and can be easily exposed on counter attacks. In this situation attackers morale has been heavily damaged, he has lost a lot of troops as well as building levels. His growth has been heavily stalled. He could even make a decision to restart. On the other hand, defender simply dodged his troops, most of the resources and continues to live on further.

Every situation demands its own approach, you can’t open all doors with one key. Statement at the very top of the page is fairly reckless and can guide some people down the wrong road. What would I advice to someone? Slow down, take a deep breath and assess the situation, gather information, talk to people. According to that make your own decision.[/J]

DeletedUser

Due to lack of response, SpearNuke has automatically advanced to the next round. The same goes for Matagot. The posted arguments are their rebuttals, which their opponents failed to deliver. The first two debates are still ongoing.

Rebuttals:

1. Playing with more defensive villages than offensive villages stunts your potential growth.
Point 1: Spear men will haul up to 25 resource per spearmen, and 4 spear men can haul more then 1Lc which uses the same amount of villagers. Even if a player is offense, he still needs to make spearmen to farm but then he wastes those spear men but creating axe men which can slow you down because if you are a defense player you do not need to get rid of your spearmen later on, you can still keep them.

Yes, spear fighters can haul more efficiently, but what about when a village is spiked? Suddenly, all of your troops are dead. Spiked farms are a common occurrence in start-up, and a vast majority of players will run into these. With offensive troops, you lose less troops. Even if spear fighters can haul more, it won't make a difference if they're dead, while the Light Cavalry isn't. Also, you can't farm other players with defensive troops, so you will inherently have more players surrounding you, which means more people farming your area, which means less resources for you. Being offensive means you can farm other players early on, forcing them to quit, leaving more resources in the barbarian villages' warehouses for you.

Point 2: If Player D is a defense player and player O is an offense player and Player D and O have the same experience or close to. When player O attacks player D, his troops will be cleared which slows him or her down more then the defensive player. Even if player D started after player O, player D will have the advantage of defense of his/her side. Another thing is that if player D got there internet connection cut off and 3 days later come on to find they are a farm, they can build defense, send there troops out until they are strong enough to defend against that attacker and then continue to defend against any other threats nearby.

And now, we get into long term thinking. Firstly, you can't count on the defensive player killing all of the offensive player's troops. It's not guaranteed. Especially once rams are researched, it takes away the advantage defense has by giving offensive troops everywhere a chance to kill some more troops. Secondly, if the player becomes a farm, dodging until you are strong enough is only possible during early game, mainly before catapults are introduced. If a player has catapults, and the defensive player is already cleared, you have 2 things to worry about: continuing to build up troops, while building up your wall and other buildings as well. This isn't even remotely possible if you are being farmed, even with a maxed hiding place, 2000 of each resource doesn't go very far. This isn't credible once start-up is over.

Point 3: When a player conquers multiple villages and make most of those villages defense, it will ensure there safety. This will not in anyway stop your growth our slow you down. You will have defense for your villages when a player attacks and you will not worry about being cleared so easily which allows you to counter attack from your offense village. Let us use the example for player D and player O again.
Ex:
Once again player D is a defensive player and player O is a offense player. Both players have 8 villages
Player D has 6 defense and 2 offense villages. Player O has 6 offense and 2 defense.
Player O decides to attack Player D but player D sends defense to that village which is being attacked and Player O loses all his troops. Player O which is offense gets mad and sends another attack but once again Player D, the defense player wins with his defense. Player D now is able to counter attack and to his advantage player O lost alot of troops trying to defeat player D.

This is good in theory, but with 6 offensive villages, why on earth would anyone attack a single village that they know could be stacked? Anyone with a decent amount of skill knows to use fakes, attack several villages, and use siege to do damage if the attack is dodged. Yes, theoretically, Player D would win, but realistically, it isn't likely to happen.

Overall, you count on luck, very specific situations, and very loose theories to back up your statements. There is very solid evidence that being an offensive player helps control an area more effectively, and allows offensive players to grow at a much faster rate.

AGAINST: lopinoman
Counter argument.

having offensive troops means a higher potential to control your area especially at start up
This is not true, first off having offensive troops gives you no advantage at the start up for these reasons. If you attack another offense player then you will win but the same goes for if someone attacks you first then they will win and you will lose. If you attack a defense player at the beginning you will lose! It is widely known that defense players have the advantage of they need less defense troops then the attackers offense troops to win a fight. 50 swords and no wall will beat 60 axe men. But usually the player builds a wall. At a level five wall 50 swords will defeat 80 axemen and this goes on and on. For higher level players, a wall of 20 and 1k swords will defeat 2,600 axe men. A hefty toll for the offense player which will be a BIG advantage to the defense player. This concludes that e2ekiel was wrong when he said,
It's been proven again and again that an offensive player will always defeat defensive player
I have just proven him wrong. An offense player ALWAYS needs more offense troops then a player with defense troops. This base on facts, facts by the simulator and real experiences among many players. so would this not only prove him wrong but shows that it is the offense player that will be slowed down when he/she attacks the defense player.

Secondly, being an offensive player means that you are much more likely to be successful at nobling higher-point player villages.
If you are defense there are good barbs to noble with high points but your tribe members could also help you out in this situation. Then you can noble that village AND protect it from any attacks headed to that new sweet village of yours. There is also a way to get a higher point village, make him attack you and let him lose his troops, then you can send a small group to noble them.

As you can see, from 2011-08-15 to 2011-08-17 there is a huge increase in ODA for Aleeex
I also have a higher ODA then you but i was slowed down as i was an offense player and got nobled!! That slowed me down alot, alot more then what you would say that a defense player is slowed down which is not true. You base this on player skills but if 2 players have the same skill the advantage is on the defense player as he will lose less troops. Aslo, you are arguing as is the defense player only has one village but the question is does a player with MORE DEFENSIVE VILLAGES THEN OFFENSIVE VILLAGES stunt your growth. Not only is the answer no but realize the s at he end of village's making it more then one village which concludes to the fact that you would have at least 1 offense village and to another fact that you can defend yourself which will weaken the attack and you can counter attack him and then noble his village. Defensive players have the advantage in defending themselves from threats which allows them to be more secure then offense players but as well as the fact that when you have multiple villages and if at least 1 is offense even though the majority is defense, you can counter attack, win and grow alot faster as the player will not have to rebuild ALL his troops after there offense villages get attacked, but instead being able to defend any village without losing all there troops. These are not only facts on the game but answers the question correctly.

Let me ask you this question

who is weaker:

him
pigeondrop.jpg

or him?
daylight_robbery_83125.jpg

of course the one that found money.

the same thing in tribal wars, if you get free vills and not steal vills from other people you will be weaker no matter how big is that barb.

In you argument you say

You have about 50 villages and you have say 3 noble trains. But a guy who is very close to you has 74 villages and you have been wanting to get into a conflict with him so you can try taking his villages

If the guy who has 50 vills is scared to fight that means he is weak. therefore he waits until the other guy

quits because he got bored of the world

to get free vills because he was too scared to take them in the first palce.

you also say:

Nobling barbs is only a sign of weakness if you are nobling small ones that are < 3000 points.

barbs dont grow over 3000 points. If a barb is over 3000 points it means the player quit. If you werent able to take his village while he was still active it means you are WEAK

We are discussing the matter of whether or not nobling barbs is a sign of weakness. But before I make my rebuttal I want to say that in the early game (less than around 10 villages) that nobling barbs actually is a sign of weakness, that it is much better to noble an actual player, that way you get a much better village and you get rid of a threat in your area.

Now for the rebuttal. It is common to call someone a bad player because they nobled a barb, and that they are too weak to noble a real person. But just because you noble a barb doesn't mean you can't actually handle a real person, it means you got lucky and someone with a good village(s) restarted or quit and you want to reap the benefits.

Most barbs that you actually want to noble WILL have troops in them that you need to destroy, because most of the time when someone quits and leaves behind good villages it was because they just got bored, and troops stay in the village when you quit. The troops may still be in the village, but the advantage of nobling the barbs is that you don't have to handle pesky tactics like backtiming, sniping, stacking, and the list goes on.

Stating that you can just send 100 axes and a noble four times is true in most cases whether a village is a barb or not, as long as you clear out the village first. The only difference with a barb is that you don't have to time your noble train to come a within a second after the nuke, because the barb can't snipe and it can't get other people to snipe you.

Spend 4 nukes to get a village? Why would you do that? I would never spend 4 nukes to get a village, you obviously don't know how long it takes to make nukes or you have just overlooked it. Doing that would make it worse for you in the long run and you will be pushed into making those four villages useless for awhile until they get rebuilt, and again the whole reason why you had to send 4 nukes was because the village got stacked by the opposer (most likely why), a barb can't do that.

I hope you are beginning to see it isn't ALWAYS a sign of weakness. This ends my rebuttal.

3. In times of war, an entire tribe should focus only on eliminating the enemy.
FOR: SpearNuke
Judges, Public, Forum-Goers, I believe that during times of war, an entire tribe should only focus on eliminating the enemy. I believe that this is the only sensible thing to say! What kind of player is one that would not go with his tribe and decide to noble someone else? Have you? Maybe you should question yourself and ask if you help your tribe enough. From my experience in playing Tribal Wars and being in strong tribes, I have seen how much damage one single tribe can do if they all drop what they are doing and help in eliminating the enemy.

To start with, I would like to show the importance of solely nobling just the enemies. I’ve got a question for you to ask yourself, would you go against your tribe and noble someone else? If you have answered yes, if I was your duke I would be having second thoughts. Well I’m sure your all thinking about these questions, but you may ask what proof, experience or facts I have. Well here is a map and I will show you a scenario:

WET.B52s.Bush_map.png
The image that you are looking at is a map from the W52 (.net) blog. It shows WET, B52s and Bush. For the sake of this let’s just say that B52s and WET is at war. By looking at the map these tribes have roughly the same amount of villages and they both are bordering Bush. Now, if B52s decide to launch an operation (OP) on WET and half of them decide not to participate and to instead noble a few of Bush’s players what do you think would happen? Don’t know? Well I’ll tell you. WET will counter attack on B52s but they would of lost most if not all of their troops nobling someone who isn’t their enemy.

I hope you have all put all the pieces together and realized that going against your tribe and deciding to noble someone that is not your enemy is completely ridiculous. I strongly believe that during times of war, tribes should ONLY focus on eliminating the enemy, for these reasons and the many more to come.

4. The best defense, is a good offense.
Betto said:
This essay going to be a top class powerhouse argument on why defence is better than offence.

I understand from Mr.Betto's powerhouse opening paragraph to his argument, that it was such a lost cause to defend this topics reckless statement, that he decided to simply give up and side with me. It's a very magnanimous gesture, but unfortunately I don't really agree with most of the stuff he has written.

Betto said:
Spear - the first unit you get. Great at defence and also is very strong at farming, you can get this troop, all for a small amount of resources. Ask any SENSIBLE type of player, and they will tell you, the best start up strategy is too build up spear straight away. Send spear to a village, let the resources come back, and rebuild those spear, until you have a large number.

Obviously, it's well known that spears are built for early farming and to players preference are built to certain amount. But the question is, how does building spears on early start up underline defensive troop superiority over offensive ones? Considering that spears, by most players, are built only until LC is researched, or even before that. Thus spear significance is reduced drastically, as LC is a much more mobile and efficient farming troop.

Betto said:
Therefore you could have just saved a friends last village....whereas even with offence...your troops would still die and your friend would get nobled.

That's all great and I even sort of agree with the sniping part. But are you familiar with the train structure? 4 nobles, first one is backed up by almost a full nuke, rest of them has a short support of approximately 100 axes each. You can still snipe successfully with offense troops, as 100 axe support for a nobleman isn't that much, and can't withstand good amount of offensive troops. I agree that sniping is a good technique and I agree that it might be better done with defensive troops, but it certainly isn't the only option, and it doesn't underline any superiority of defensive troops. Same could be turned around and said that offensive troops are the BEST, because with them you can effectively attack. To put it simply, you have fork for one purpose and spoon for another.

Betto said:
My final point will be the simplest use of defence in tribal wars. Supporting. Whatever game stage your in supporting is key, if your defence and a friend offence, your friend can clear players while you support him when he gets losses. Also if you are attacked and on the off chance of being cleared, your friend can attack the guy to make a new farm for you.

It's good to support each other, whenever it's with defense or backing up with a supporting attack, this is without a shadow of doubt. But as I already mentioned, there are multiple ways of supporting, not only with defensive troops, you can as well help out your tribemate by backtiming the attacker and clearing his attacking force, deal done.

Betto said:
Thank you for reading, and I hope that I convinced you a great deal with this Debate.

Unfortunately not at all Betto. You took a strict stance and backed it up with rather weak points, without taking into account the possibilities that might occur in different situations. You took the the stance to defend defensive play (while you had to really do the opposite) completely ignoring that there is also another dimension in this game - offense. I on the other hand took a fairly neutral stance, arguing that there isn't one best option and reaction, underlining that you have to adapt to different situations.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Remember: Matagot and Spearnuke have automatically advanced to the next round. These are the final rebuttals:

Here's my final statement, thanks Googly for doing this!
Concluding...

You claim that an offensive player will beat an offensive player if they attack. You claim that an offensive player will lose by attacking a defensive player. Players with decent skill are able to do this: Dodge the attack, and backtime. It's a simple way to use offensive troops as a sort of defense. If you are attacked, in some ways, it is more dangerous to attack an offensive player than a defensive player. Also, when attacking a defensive player, using an example of 50 swords against 60 axes isn't realistic since offensive nukes consist of Axemen, Light Cavalry, and Rams. The mix of troops allows offense to take out defenses, including walls.

You also claim that there are plenty of barbs to take, and people willing to help you take player villages. Taking barbs slows your growth down, because you generally end up with a less developed village, as there are not as many developed barbs. And if you ask someone to clear a player village for you, well, that means they're using offensive troops, and their potential growth is high enough where they can afford to help you. In the end, the offensive players have a higher rate of growth, and more growth opportunities.

I find that the best proof of anything is a real world statistic. What works, works, right? If something's been proven time and time again to work, then what more argument is there? I took a survey. I asked the World 4 top 20 players whether they started offensively or defensively. Here's what I got.

I sent the question to 20 players.
12 responded.
10 started offensively.
2 were mixed, but still focused more on offense.
And NONE were defensive.

The proof is there. The most successful, fastest-growing players of world 4 focused on offensive troops during start-up, and that's where they ended up.

And with that, I rest my case.

AGAINST: Lopinoman
You are wrong, you say i have my theories but you are not making it much different. Any one can get spiked and anyone can spike a village. You are going by skills of players, when you compared you and a fellow member of yours. It is also not guaranteed an offense player would win. and like i said, the defense player could always counter attack.

The defense player can spike the offense players village and yes a defense player can get spiked but so can everyone else in the game. The defense player will be able to spike the offense players farms.

You compared yourself and a member of yours, could it be your member is just a better player then you. That is also the beginning, some players start out offense THEN go into defense once they have multiple villages which this question is about. This does not slow them down, they are just able to defend themselves more because you will get attacked sooner or later.

You seem as if an offense player will attack again and again. Even with multiple village he will lose alot of troops. Even if he has rams or cats, then he will have to rebuild. The defense player as i said earlier can counter attack and wipe his troops out.

Remember, ANYTHING can happen in Tribal Wars. You can be ganged up and attacked and nobled. You can end up being the greatest player in that world. You can be nobled in a month. It happens but as the question specifies would have multiple defense villages stunt your growth? The answer is no, you can start out offense then go defense. You will have Multiple villages so you can still farm and attack and DEFEND yourself very well. If 2 players have the same skill, same experience and start at the same time they will grow the same. If it did slow you down then why would many players go defense? Because it IS already known that it will NOT slow down a good player and it must have made it succeed for someone before.
Anything can happen, you can get attacked at any time, nobled at anytime. Face any player at anytime, but fighting is not the question and the answer the the real question is no, for all the reason i stated, for everything i said, even those that are just theories. An player with more defense villages will NOT be slowed down.

Your arguments are stupid and are not worth replying to.

Final Rebuttal

Me and my opponent are discussing a decade-long debate that has been argued over and over, whether nobling a barb is always a sign of weakness. My opinion is no and we have been going back and forth debating the matter, and he thinks you are a complete weakling if you noble a barb.

Those are some nice pics. But when it comes down to it; a picture can mean a thousand words, that doesn't necessarily mean they say the right words. You can't really compare a man who found a million dollars and someone who robbed it to a situation in tribalwars, atleast not unless you back it up with good, strong evidence. Stiven97lol has not.

If the guy who has 50 vills is scared to fight that means he is weak. therefore he waits until the other guy

quits because he got bored of the world
to get free vills because he was too scared to take them in the first place.
Could you please explain to me where I said he was to scared to fight? I said he was preparing to get into a conflict with the bigger guy, he was planing on a strategy and he was preparing his troops to fight. To often you see people barge in head first without a plan and they get annihilated because the other guy was a step ahead the whole way. If you were getting in a conflict with someone 1.5x your size would you barge in immediately and "see what happens." Acting like this allows the enemy to dictate your actions and you are closed off from making your own plans effectively and you could easily lose.

You aren't stating any facts or any reasons as to why the guy is weak for nobling the barbs.

barbs dont grow over 3000 points. If a barb is over 3000 points it means the player quit. If you werent able to take his village while he was still active it means you are WEAK
Again, you aren't giving any details, all you do is state weakness for not being able to take his village while the person was active. And whose to say you couldn't take the person while he was active. Most commonly when you find good barbs to noble it is because you recently expanded into an area and you find some good abandoned villages nearby the ones you just recently took, so you take those too to strengthen your presence in the area.

Stiven97lol has only stated 1 detail/fact that isn't a complete assumption, and that's "barbs don't grow over 3000 points." This is the end of my side of the debate about whether
Nobling barbarian villages is a sign of weakness

DeletedUser

Results are up!

Googly said:
Apologies for the delays folks!

We have finally arrived at the announcement you have all been waiting for - the official results of Round 1!

We will announce the next round on Tuesday the 18th. But, to see who is the winner of each pair, you will need to read on.

Before the winners are announced, a short explanation of how the judging went about needs to be published. Each of the 3 judges, marked each player who finished the full debate on 3 different topics, as seen below. The totals then were tallied up, and the combined judging scores resulted in the outcome.

Below is General Explanation of how the marking works.

1. Quality of the argument.
This is about how the debaters wrote their points, and the actual points they put in to their arguments.

2. Logical Reasoning.
This is about how much logic was put in to arguments. Were there points made, or were points then expanded on to go in to more interesting detail to benefit the argument being made more?

3. Style of the argument.
This is about how the propositions and the rebuttals were laid out, the structure, and the progression from start to finish.

And now, to finally unveil the judges!

We have:

1. U65sl. - Long-time moderator of the .us forums, moderator of the .net forums, and very well respected for his skills in debating.

2. Googly - Long-time poster of multiple tribalwars forums, with a knack for arguments.

3. EddyT - A guest from the .net forums who has a huge interest in debates.

U65sl.'s Votes
e2ekiel
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 8
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 6
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 8
TOTAL: 22/30

lopinoman
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 7
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 6
TOTAL: 19/30

stiven97lol
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 5
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 4
TOTAL: 15/30

sorryyougotnuked
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 8
TOTAL: 23/30

Googly's Votes
e2ekiel
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 7

lopinoman
TOTAL: 21/30

stiven97lol
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 6
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 7
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 6
TOTAL: 19/30

sorryyougotnuked
EddyT's Votes
e2ekiel
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 5
TOTAL: 20/30

lopinoman
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 5/10
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 7/10
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 4/10
TOTAL: 16/30

stiven97lol
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 3/10
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 5/10
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 3/10
TOTAL: 11/30

sorryyougotnuked
1. Quality of the argument (out of 10) - 8/10
2. Logical Reasoning (out of 10) - 8/10
3. Style of the argument (out of 10) - 7/10

Combined Totals

e2ekiel - 65/90
lopinoman - 56/90

stiven97lol - 45/90
sorryyougotnuked - 65/90

As such, the winners are:

Debate Topic 1: e2ekiel

Debate Topic 2: sorryyougotnuked

Debate Topic 3: SpearNuke

Debate Topic 4: Matagot

Congratulations to all of those who are progressing in to the semi-finals!

DeletedUser

Semi-finals: UP!

1. Family tribes are merely glorified alliances.
FOR: sorryyougotnuked
sorryyougotnuked said:
Are family tribes merely alliances? Or are they not? That is for you, the reader, to decide. But this is my opinion of the matter and I will try my best to argue my point, and that's the purpose of this debate. To see who can argue their points better to the reader of our debate. Without further ado.... here is my side of the argument.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who here actually enjoys family tribes? Who thinks that family tribes are great? Who thinks that a family tribe is a complete bond between several tribes into one great tribe? And to those of you who have said yes to the above, have you actually seen one work well for a long duration?

I personally have not, ever, seen a family tribe that worked for a very long duration and was stronger than the other tribes in the world. Why is this? Because family tribes are merely, a Glorified Alliance. A true, strong, well-functioning tribe has great communication skills and superior coordination. A family tribe cannot have this because it is MUCH more difficult for them to communicate. They are merely allies because they cannot have true communication among one another.

Family tribes do not have good communication because there are to many complications and to many people to know what you actually need to know. Members of a family tribe, not the leaders, often feel they are not participating in all they can because they are limited in what they can do. They can mostly only control what is going on in their own tribe and don't have a very big say in what the other tribes do because of the massive amounts of people within the tribes which brings down individualism between the people and that brings down the level of communication. People don't feel very important anymore and they stop wanting to communicate and this causes a crash in the family tribes because now they are spread throughout several different tribes and they only have a few people in each actually communicating and this breaks the loose bonds they have to each other.

Family tribes are merely alliances and they normally can't coordinate well with each other. If they were really 1 big tribe then why do they most commonly suck at coordinating? Because they aren't 1 big tribe at all, they are merely several tribes with the other tribes names on their profile to try to scare off enemies. The members do not have a strong bond with one another so they never give it their full effort to help each other out. They generally suck at ops and they can't effectively snipe, stack, pre-noble, etc. for each other as well as other tribes because they cannot get a full outcome unless they are in the same tribe and have a strong connection with the person and they REALLY want to help each other.

Family tribes are merely glorified alliances that cannot communicate, or coordinate very well. The purpose is only to scare off the enemy.

AGAINST: SpearNuke
SpearNuke said:
Some people think that family tribes are just a glorified alliance, I find this completely ridiculous. Family tribes are just a way of avoiding the tribe member limit. Have you even been in one? And please do not kid as as we both know well that you have. If you have never been in one, you have not lived. Anyway, I completely disagree to the statement, "Family tribes are just glorified alliances." Why? Because the ARE NOT!

To start with family tribes are not their alliances. These group of tribes are actually one tribe, believe it or not! Family tribes always share:
  • The Same Forum
  • The Same Skype Chat
  • The Same Diplomacy
  • The Same Leaders
  • The Same Area

Is that enough for you? What's the difference between a family tribe and your tribe? NOTHING! Does a normal tribe have:

• The Same Forum...? YES
  • The Same Skype Chat...? YES
  • The Same Diplomacy...? YES
  • The Same Leaders...? YES
  • The Same Area...? DUH, YES

Well there you go, your tribe and a family tribe isn't too different. They ARE NOT a glorified alliance, they are a group of capable players just with a high member limit. If you think family tribes don't work maybe ask the Apocalypse family of World 18 on the .net server. Who said a family tribe can't win a world? They are proof of family tribes. Over 200 players combining to win a world.

Now I suppose you should go rethink this, If Apocalypse can we all can. This information is proof that Family tribes ARE NOT glorified alliances and instead are just a larger group of capable players.

1. Within tribal leadership, it is better to have 1 or 2 players running the tribe, than a group.
For: Within tribal leadership, it is better to have 1 or 2 players running the tribe, than a group.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Tribal leadership.

A tribe's leadership is likely the most important of all factors that determine how a tribe fares in a world. While this is largely dependant on the qualities of the leader(s), the amount of leaders that there are plays an important role. In most cases, having a smaller amount of leaders, such as 1 or 2, is more efficient than having a group of leaders, for 2 main reasons.

1) Communication/Diplomacy
Especially in inter-tribal diplomacy, where one person should hold all the information, it is important that only that one person deals with diplomacy, since that person will have a better view of the whole picture, regarding recruitment, geography/player layout of an area; all in relation to diplomacy, as opposed to many people (recruiters, diplomats, dukes, barons etc.) who all share bits and pieces of information in a haphazard jigsaw puzzle.

2) Internal Issues
More leaders means more decision-makers, which means more opportunity for disagreement, and internal problems. People are human, and by nature have a sort of characteristic of determination with which they are associated. When a leader thinks something is good for a tribe, they make their decisions based on that belief. If there all multiple leaders, and one disagrees with another, they will be determined to prove themselves right. People also tend to be stubborn, so if neither side gives in, which is likely, sides are drawn, someone may leave the tribe to form another one, take a portion of the original tribe with them, and both tribes are worse off than before.[/QUOTE]

Matagot said:
Against: Within tribal leadership, it is better to have 1 or 2 players running the tribe, than a group.

What are the most common downfalls of tribe leaders which are striving to be successful?

- Leaderships inexperience.
- Leaderships inactivity.

While thinking about these two problems a story came to my mind, from far past. So I decided to share it with you.

Once upon a time I joined a tribe. It was the largest rim tribe within its own K. It was led by a ruthlessness and autocracy. One man made decisions and rest of the tribe had to follow them, or else they get kicked, destroyed and tortured in hell. This man ignored the complaints and most of the suggestions his poor people delivered to him, he knew only one direction, the one he chooses.

So came winter and the first real war. Our leader hadn’t made any significant progress with the diplomacy, we were the rank 1 in our K, we were the train of destruction, so we need not any diplomacy. Tho’ many tribemates saw it differently, we were exposed during the war from more than one side, like sharks, surrounding tribes smelled blood and picked on our members. It was no good. And many decided to leave as there seemed to be no progress at all in the tribe. People wished to be more involved and participate in the life of their own tribe, they were the part of it and their own villages where at stake.

So came spring. New tribe was formed. Everyone was part of it and quite a few council positions were handed out. People were happy, they got involved, they made decisions together and what they couldn’t make up with their inexperience, they made up with unity, constructive discussions and trust into each other. Unlike the previous leader, who only pretended to be one of those “pro” type of players, this group succeeded. Tribe had unquestionable integrity, high morale and friendships blossomed. Everyone felt important, who doesn’t want?

So came summer. Knowing that a lot of people will leave for holiday, tribal council decided to make more thought through council system. So in case someone from higher ranked council members is away then there will always be someone who to turn to and decision will always be made in time. This was mainly decided, because at the time of need, their previous leader, had disappeared for couple of days without giving any notice. There were none to make the calls important to tribe.

So what do we learn from this story? I reckon, that maybe it's better to share your responsibilities, take some pressure off your shoulders and get one or two valuable opinions from people you trust.

DeletedUser

sorryyougutnuked's Rebuttal.

To start with family tribes are not their alliances. These group of tribes are actually one tribe, believe it or not! Family tribes always share:
  • The Same Forum
  • The Same Skype Chat
  • The Same Diplomacy
  • The Same Leaders
  • The Same Area
You can't say that family tribes always share those. I know plenty of family tribes that I have been in (Usually for giggles :D) that don't share the same forum, area, and sometimes not even the same diplomacy, and most family tribes that aren't half competent don't even use skype. By saying that all family tribes share those, cuts out around 80% or more of all family tribes because they do not possess those qualities. Yes, it is very common for family tribes to have the same forums and diplomacy; but sometimes this is not the case. Many a time a family tribe actually don't share the same leaders, they may have to same leader in theory, but it is very common for people to become more bonded to influential and inspirational people within their own tribe, causing them to respect and hold those people to a higher position than the actual leaders of the family tribe. Sharing a same area is more of a preference among tribes, can't really say anything against that since that's more of a preference on how they like to do things.

Is that enough for you? What's the difference between a family tribe and your tribe? NOTHING! Does a normal tribe have:

• The Same Forum...? YES
  • The Same Skype Chat...? YES
  • The Same Diplomacy...? YES
  • The Same Leaders...? YES
  • The Same Area...? DUH, YES
Okay, we have now weeded out the lower 80% of all family tribes for not even having all these. Now ask yourself, for each of those similarities. Which would be easier for each of these? A family tribe? Or a normal tribe? Naturally, having the same forum is easier for the normal tribe than the family tribes. This is because their is less control over the forum because the only mods would be the ones in the tribe controlling that part of the forums, also because a family with a participant size that is much greater than a normal tribe will have a much tougher time weeding out unimportant information with important information and the constant blue symbol beside the forums will disorient members and they will often time start ignoring the forums all-together. Having the same skype chat would also be easier in a normal tribe. What would be more confusing? A chat with 30 members, or 120 members? I'm sure you can answer the reasoning behind that yourself. When it comes to having the same leaders, the leaders will be much more stressed out if they are controlling several tribes instead of one and will be more likely to not be able to handle every situation with 100% effectiveness, unless if the family tribe decides to have many more leaders than a usual tribe and many of them will be spread throughout the different tribes, but as I said before that members of a tribe generally become more connected with the influential people within their own tribe causing there to be shifts in leadership and the different tribes will more and more resemble just mere alliances with each other because there isn't as strong of a central presence of leadership since the leadership is spread. It is also harder for family tribes to share the same area, because the only way they have to identify each other is if they are marked as an ally, but if the tribe also has separate allies besides their family then there is a problem. Members with premium and have all the family tribes marked won't have as much a problem but many people do not use premium.

If you think family tribes don't work maybe ask the Apocalypse family of World 18 on the .net server. Who said a family tribe can't win a world?
Yep, no one said a family tribe can't win a world. There is always a first for everything. And your are also right about Apocalypse being proof that a family CAN be successful. But they are a very rare example of a family tribe that operated better than just "Glorified Alliances," commonly family tribes do not operate nearly close to the degree at which they did. Congrats to the leaders of Apoc, because it takes loads of skill, determination, and perseverance to last all the way to the end of a world, a family tribe especially. They obviously had great communication skills and overcame the obstacles that most other family tribes cannot overcome. But just because 1 family tribe could be that successful does not mean they represent the level of bondage that all family tribes have. When finding an average or a third quartile (math term :p) you never want to include the outliers or the outstandingly greater variables. Apoc cannot be a representative for all family tribes because they are vastly different than the majority of family tribes.

Many more times than not, family tribes are merely "Glorified Alliances" because they do not share the qualities that make them anymore than the title which suites them well.

Spearnuke's Rebuttal.

I DO enjoy family tribes. I DO think that they are great. I DO believe that several tribes can come together to form one bonded tribe. I HAVE seen family tribes work. As I have previously stated, The tribe Apocalypse has put themselves into a family tribe with Apocalypse: Famine. They also created an alliance with [BA], so whats the difference? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

capturesj.png
As you can see from the image above, The Apocalypse family has won world 18. You said you have never, ever seen a family tribe that worked. Where have you been for the past years? Apocalypse has easily won that world, why? Because of family tribes. These tribes are strictly FAMILY TRIBES and not a Glorified Alliance. As shown by Example #1 Family tribes are not a glorified alliance. They are a group of capable players who work together well and as for communicating, there is always the option of Skype, the forums or another instant chat site.

Let me ask you all a question. How do you and your tribe co-ordinate attacks? Do you circular mail everyone involved? Ask around on Skype or another instant messaging chat? Do you post it in the forum? Do you just use the noble planner? Or Do you just go in for a free for all? Well from my experience tribes usually use the forum and then mail specific members depending on their roles. What can't you do that with family tribes? Well, the fact is... you can. The same happens in regular tribe, correct? They communicate by mail, forums and Skype. Alliances also run by the same system. These family tribes work in exactly the same way as regular tribes and alliances, right?

I don't see how Regular Tribes, Family Tribes and Alliances are different. The only thing I know for sure is that Family Tribes are not glorified alliances and are instead one bigger, unified tribe. Thank you.

2. Within tribal leadership, it is better to have 1 or 2 players running the tribe, than a group.

E2ekiel's Rebuttal.

Rebuttal to Matagot's opening statement.

I will be focusing on a few key points made, and then the piece as a whole. The 2 points chosen, in effect, completely summarize the entire opening statement.
-----------------------------------------------------
“A chain is only as strong as its weakest link” - Remember this phrase

How many things can Tribal Wars be compared to?

Being a high school senior in the U.S., I see a lot of aspects of the school campus that are great allegories. Let us look at a football team (American football, that is). The idea of a football team is to create a group of players to try to win games, and eventually make their way to a championship match. This is similar to Tribal Wars. Tribes are groups of players trying to win wars, and dominate a world (generally). Remember this paragraph as you read on as well.

“What are the most common downfalls of tribe leaders which are striving to be successful?

- Leaderships inexperience.
- Leaderships inactivity.”
I recognize these facts, but they don't directly relate to the amount of leaders there are. These are leader qualities that don't exactly explain why having more leaders might be better. In the following paragraphs Matagot, you tell us a story of a tribe you were once in, that had a tyrannical ruler who ruined everything, but eventually, a new tribe was made with many people making decisions and everyone was happy (these were different leaders, mind you). Since the leaders were different, how can we not conclude that the big group was not just a group of people with better leadership qualities? The tyrannical ruler was tyrannical for reasons other than the fact that he was the only leader, but because led that way. As I've stated before, leadership qualities are different than the amount of leaders.

This also brings a familiar phrase from my Microeconomics class. “Ceterus Paribus”, which basically means to hold everything else constant. Which is meant to be the best way to analyze any specific aspect of something (such as leadership, in the complex game of Tribal Wars). If the leader had stayed the same (been held constant), and more people were placed into power with him, what would have changed? Going back to what I said in my opening statement about people being determined and stubborn, probably nothing. Your argument fails to analyze the effects of having more leaders in a general sense, since you used only one story with a specific scenario/circumstances.

“What they couldn’t make up with their inexperience, they made up with unity”
Now let's go back to that football team I mentioned earlier. You take 30 inexperienced players, and put them on a team, and the team suddenly becomes better than the rest and wins the state championship. Yes? No! It doesn't work that way! My high school football team is terrible, with something like a 20 game losing streak, which started a few years ago. My team is exceptionally large too, but obviously having more players does not make the team better! There's a popular phrase saying that “a team is only as strong as it's weakest player” or “a chain is only as strong as its weakest link”. This holds true for more things than people think. Everything from a high school football team to leadership in Tribal Wars. Having more leaders does not help them to make smarter, more beneficial decisions, and it creates more room for error due to communication and confidentiality issues.

Matagot's Rebuttal.

Rebuttal.

While this is largely dependant on the qualities of the leader(s), the amount of leaders that there are plays an important role.

While quality over quantity sounds reasonable, it doesn't always work. Well used quantity can overcome quality. How about quantity + quality against quality?

1) Communication/Diplomacy
Especially in inter-tribal diplomacy, where one person should hold all the information, it is important that only that one person deals with diplomacy, since that person will have a better view of the whole picture, regarding recruitment, geography/player layout of an area; all in relation to diplomacy, as opposed to many people (recruiters, diplomats, dukes, barons etc.) who all share bits and pieces of information in a haphazard jigsaw puzzle.

That's all well in theory and if you want to sacrifice your own personal life while doing all of this. But would you think that director of a major, or even a normal sized, company pays money to his employees just out of sheer pleasure, kindness and charity? No, not even close, he pays them wages, because he needs them. Plain and simple, he doesn't have enough time, or humanly enough energy to deal with all of the aspects of company + his family, friends etc.,etc..

Same applies when leading a tribe. Can you even imagine:

• How many invite requests receives a fairly popular and known tribe? A lot, too many.
  • How many account sits for his tribemates leader has to handle just to ensure his tribes steady growth even when his members aren't online. A lot, too many.
  • How many diplomacy requests from lesser tribe he needs to reject, while also being kind enough and able to predict the next move of surrounding tribes, in order to ensure his own tribes well being. Again, too many.

And that's leaving out the usual inner conflicts, hate mails, whining, etc.,etc.. Tribe's leader is like a guru from whom everyone wants a bit of that attention and advice.

as opposed to many people (recruiters, diplomats, dukes, barons etc.) who all share bits and pieces of information in a haphazard jigsaw puzzle.

Having a lot of people dedicated to one cause doesn't mean that it's done in unorganized way. In this case leader/s is like a telephone central, all the wires go to him and he gets all the information he needs.

2) Internal Issues
More leaders means more decision-makers, which means more opportunity for disagreement, and internal problems. People are human, and by nature have a sort of characteristic of determination with which they are associated. When a leader thinks something is good for a tribe, they make their decisions based on that belief. If there all multiple leaders, and one disagrees with another, they will be determined to prove themselves right. People also tend to be stubborn, so if neither side gives in, which is likely, sides are drawn, someone may leave the tribe to form another one, take a portion of the original tribe with them, and both tribes are worse off than before.

When assembling a group of people you are going to work with for quite some time, you tend to pick the right people, in sense that you won't just pick someone from street with IQ less than goat has. You'll pick people who you trust, who you know are easy going, reasonable, honest and more or less are on the same wave as you are.

Single leaders decision is prone for mistakes, especially if he's less experienced in leading tribes, even if not, everyone makes mistakes. Multiple heads can reason, as I said, you can't pick just anyone for leadership positions.

So in conclusion I can just once more add that running a tribe only seems like an easy task, especially when you aren't actually involved. When you start to count all of those little details you need to deal with, you realize that there just isn't enough time in the world and you look at possibilities with whom you might share these responsibilities. Thus' the recruiter, forum moderator, barons, diplomat, etc.,etc. positions are born.

DeletedUser

Final Rebuttals

Sorryyougotnuked's Final Rebuttal.
I DO enjoy family tribes. I DO think that they are great. I DO believe that several tribes can come together to form one bonded tribe.
Don't go popping blood vessels now ;)

As I have previously stated, The tribe Apocalypse has put themselves into a family tribe with Apocalypse: Famine. They also created an alliance with [BA], so whats the difference? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!
Winning a world is something that is supposed to be a great accomplishment worthy of praise. Do you think every one of the people in those tribes is happy? I did some research through resources, the forums especially, and many people flocked to the Apoc family so they could ride the coattails of success so they could make it to the end-game. The winning tribe of a world is supposed to end a world through domination, not by sucking in many of the opposers that come their way. Do you think every person within the Apoc family and BA were happy that many of their enemies joined them to win the world? Do you think they were happy that they won by sucking in several enemies? It is obvious through the forums on world 18 that many people who the world were not happy with how the world turned out.

Apocalypse has easily won that world, why? Because of family tribes. These tribes are strictly FAMILY TRIBES and not a Glorified Alliance. As shown by Example #1 Family tribes are not a glorified alliance.
"As shown by Example #1 Family tribe are not a glorified alliance." Yes, you have shown that Apocalypse was not a glorified alliance. However, you can't hide behind the fact that one family tribe was successful, that one family tribe dominated a world, that one family tribe communicated well, that one family tribe etc, etc, etc. But what about other family tribes? It's a well known fact by the tribal wars community that ;family tribes often fail and that's why most experienced players avoid them. Why did this idea come about that family tribes are not the best way to go? Because statistically and realistically speaking, most family tribes do not have the communication, the co-ordination, the determination, or the longevity to become a great tribe.

Let me ask you all a question. How do you and your tribe co-ordinate attacks? Do you circular mail everyone involved? Ask around on Skype or another instant messaging chat? Do you post it in the forum? Do you just use the noble planner? Or Do you just go in for a free for all? Well from my experience tribes usually use the forum and then mail specific members depending on their roles. What can't you do that with family tribes? Well, the fact is... you can. The same happens in regular tribe, correct? They communicate by mail, forums and Skype.
The way you are explaining co-ordination is the way you ask for it and the way you talk about it. But the fact is that in a family tribe you do not create as strong a bond with each other because there is to many members to get involved with the affairs of every single one. Out of all those operations of communication the only one that doesn't get effected by the massive member count is the messaging chat (Includes private skyping), but think of it as if you were in their shoes, you are in a family tribe of about, say, 125 members, and you get messaged by 1 of those members and you just barely know the person, or even if you somewhat know the person, will you give your 100% effort to help a stranger you barely know? Would you give your 100% for someone when there may be other people, or even yourself who also need help? Generally speaking, members of family tribes do not create as strong a bond to each other as a normal tribe does.

If you cannot see the difference between a regular tribe and a family tribe then you are ridiculously biased. There isn't much difference between an average family tribe and an alliance, you help each other, you communicate with each other, and you plan ops with each other; but you do not create strong enough of a tie to each other to call each other the same family/tribe.

This officially ends my side of this debate.

SpearNuke's Final Rebuttal.
No, I can't say that family tribes always work. But can you say that regular tribes do not always work? Yes you can. There is no difference between failing family tribes, regular tribes and alliances. If you haven't been in a family tribe that do not share those basic things, the tribe you in was most likely was not a proper family tribe or was horribly run. All good and successful family tribes, use those things. These tribes aren't alliances because I've never been in an alliance that does these things, but family tribes do. So it's not a glorified alliance.

The 80% that you have "weeded" out still share forums. If not how do you prove that? From my experience and from many other peoples, family tribes all share forums and basic forms of communicating. There is a way for everything. For example, the last family tribe that I was in sent a circular mail to all of its members. The sender would also send a mail to the duke of the family tribe telling him or her to send a circular mail to their tribe in order to successfully communicate through their tribe. Would a regular alliance do that? No. Of coarse not. As I have previously said, alliances and family tribes run different ways, why? Because they are different.

Let me run a scenario through your head. Lets call a family tribe the U.S.A. With many states, each resembling its own tribe. The President (Barack Obama) controls these 50 or so States. Each State in the country is lead by a person under the President. This exactly how a family tribe runs. One main leader, with several men underneath him. All barking orders at their tribes. This is how the U.S.A. runs and this is how good family tribes run. If they do not run like this they should be thought over, however these tribes are not glorified alliances. These tribes are strictly family tribes.

To conclude, all family tribes are run differently, however they all have the same principles and values. These tribes are not alliances, they are one large tribe. They only exist to avoid the tribe limit size. These family tribes work well together as I have previously shown with the Apocalypse example. This example can not be taken as a set example for family tribes, however they are an example of a family tribes potential. As you HAVE said this isn't a glorified alliance. Maybe taking my side is best because that's right, even according to you. So who said a family tribe can't work?

2. Within tribal leadership, it is better to have 1 or 2 players running the tribe, than a group.

Matagot's Final Rebuttal.

“A chain is only as strong as its weakest link” - Remember this phrase

Mr.e2ekiel shows great interest in chains and American football in his rebuttal statement. Unfortunately it has come down to me, to break it down for him. Tribalwars is not a chain made of any sorts or any physical material we encounter in nature. Tribalwars is a game which is based on team play rather than individual ability. Surprisingly, Mr. e2ekiel choose an idiom which actually emphasizes importance of individuals quality rather than actual team. So ironically he contradicts his own further statement at very beginning of it making us to remember this idiom.

Being a high school senior in the U.S., I see a lot of aspects of the school campus that are great allegories. Let us look at a football team (American football, that is). The idea of a football team is to create a group of players to try to win games, and eventually make their way to a championship match. This is similar to Tribal Wars. Tribes are groups of players trying to win wars, and dominate a world (generally). Remember this paragraph as you read on as well.

Now Mr.e2ekiel makes it clear, his main focus of this argument (considering that it’s the introduction paragraph to his further statement) is team play. And he once again makes us to remember this paragraph, but wait…. Is it just me or what? Let’s go back couple lines before this paragraph. Yes. The chain idiom. So he makes us to remember that individual is the most important and that group which is trying to win is important. It’s slightly confusing, if you ask me.

I recognize these facts, but they don't directly relate to the amount of leaders there are. These are leader qualities that don't exactly explain why having more leaders might be better.

Ironically Mr.e2ekiel recognizes the importance of the facts, but yet fails, or doesn’t want to, read the connection between the facts and the story in the opening argument. My story in a fairly obvious way explains, how and why leadership consisting of limited human resources can influence the well being of the tribe. Previously mentioned “facts” and notions of them are expanded and well implemented, in the actual story. Thus’ making it rather clear why having more council (=leadership) positions could be better. Remember, this underlined section. Actually, I won’t torture readers and make them remember something, I’ll explain it straight away. Mr.e2ekiel assumed that I am speaking about multiple leaders, that has never been the case in these debates. Under leadership positions can come barons, recruiters, diplomats, etc.,etc., but the final decisions can be left to single, alpha leader. Why is this important? Read this definition taken from online Oxford dictionary.

Leader
noun
1 the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country:

Now the actual topic of these debates:

Within tribal leadership, it is better to have 1 or 2 players running the tribe, than a group.

Now it seems that Mr.e2ekiel has misread my statements, or maybe even misunderstood the whole topic. Thus’ his continuous attempts at derailing debates with talk about team-play, chains and American football, could be understandable. Unfortunately while speaking in length about team play, he actually backs up my point regarding tribe ran by group.

Since the leaders were different, how can we not conclude that the big group was not just a group of people with better leadership qualities? The tyrannical ruler was tyrannical for reasons other than the fact that he was the only leader, but because led that way.

Mr.e2ekiel, I don’t disagree by any means that group did better than the individual, that’s the point I’m making.

As I've stated before, leadership qualities are different than the amount of leaders.

Maybe you think you stated so, but you never did, thus’ you never backed up your point, which makes this meaningless.

This also brings a familiar phrase from my Microeconomics class. “Ceterus Paribus”, which basically means to hold everything else constant. Which is meant to be the best way to analyze any specific aspect of something (such as leadership, in the complex game of Tribal Wars). If the leader had stayed the same (been held constant), and more people were placed into power with him, what would have changed? Going back to what I said in my opening statement about people being determined and stubborn, probably nothing. Your argument fails to analyze the effects of having more leaders in a general sense, since you used only one story with a specific scenario/circumstances.

Your argument fails, because of your assumption that I ‘have’ stated somewhere, something about multiple leaders, which I never did.

Now let's go back to that football team I mentioned earlier. You take 30 inexperienced players, and put them on a team, and the team suddenly becomes better than the rest and wins the state championship. Yes? No! It doesn't work that way!

Going back to my rebuttal regarding choice of the proper people with whom to share responsibilities. It pretty much sums it up, I wouldn’t pick some random people with low physical ability for football team, I would pick the strongest, quickest, etc.,etc.. Your example of American football is not working in this scenario. Also your comparison is made between games that come from two different worlds. American football – pure physical game, Tribalwars - pure intellect game. Your timeframe “suddenly” also does no justice, I’ve never stated that everything is going to happen overnight.

In conclusion. I guess I’m going to repeat myself, but you based your whole rebuttal on assumption that I claim to be in favor of multiple leaders. This was never the case. I was talking about a group of people sharing responsibilities, but with an organized ladder type system, so whenever there is need there will be always someone who can make the decisions when upper echelon player is away. Thank you for reading.

E2ekiel's Final Rebuttal.
Tribal Leadership and Cockroach-Covered Ice Cream

While quality over quantity sounds reasonable, it doesn't always work. Well used quantity can overcome quality. How about quantity + quality against quality?

That's weird. Let's say this. You and me decide to go to an ice cream parlor. We buy a tub of ice cream to share it.

kids%20eating%20ice%20cream.jpg

You were arguing for quantity over quality. But then you suggested just using both, which was about the same as saying, "If you combined your ice cream scoop with mine, it would be better than yours." :confused: That's an interesting idea... But the statement itself goes back to my football reference, but let's use ice cream. Let's say you're the kid on the right with the bigger scoop. If there is, I don't know, let's say dead coackroaches, in that scoop of ice cream, it doesn't matter if you have so much more than me, it will still taste nasty. Having more experienced leaders in a tribe does not replace quality, just as unity does not replace inexperience.

As for the rest of your talking about the leader not having time to handle everything, well, that comes with the territory. If the leader is any good to begin with, he/she should know the committment beforehand and be ready to put forward their time for it. Otherwise, they're just having everyone else doing their work while they sit around being called leader.

Having a lot of people dedicated to one cause doesn't mean that it's done in unorganized way. In this case leader/s is like a telephone central, all the wires go to him and he gets all the information he needs.

Have you ever played telephone? Where one person makes up a phrase, they tell the next person in the circle, and that person tells the next person, and so on. The more that information is transfered between different people, the higher the chance is that the information is incorrect, misunderstood, or not even recieved at all. A phrase as innocent as, "That duck can fly really high." suddenly becomes, "I'm drunk and like pie." There's just too much room for communication discrepancies.

As for your concluding 3 paragraphs, the recruiting of trustworthy, sensible people sounds more like a premade than an average tribe. Any normal recruitment presents the chance of spies and has many associated risks. You may pick players with similar mindsets, but not everyone's going to agree all the time. You may say you like those dead cockroaches in your ice cream, well I don't agree (I like to keep my front teeth) and it becomes so serious that you now only want to buy cockroach-covered ice cream for your buddies, but my buddies and I don't feel that way, so we stop hanging out, and we buy our own ice cream. Hopefully you can see the resemblance of the kids and a tribe. People don't agree, people don't give up. People want things their way.

In the end, the leader should know the time requirements associated with leading. Dealing with everything from hate-mail to internal issues to diplomatic requests may be a handful, but the trade-off for all this time is the safe transfer of information. In world 4, when Ticket merged with PERV, no leadership spots were given. Why? Less leaders means information is safer and people are more likely to get along. It's as simple as that, and either way, there's more cockroach-covered ice cream to go around. :D

DeletedUser

The semi-finals are now officially over!

All that remains, is the judges' verdicts on each contestant.

The marking for this semi-final will be done by all 3 judges:

EddyT
U6s5l.
Googly

Each entrant will be given a mark out of 10, combined to make a mark out of 30, for each area, explained below. The full

1. Quality of the debate on your part (out of 10)
2. Logical Reasoning on your part (out of 10)
3. Style of the debate on your part (out of 10)

Semi-Final 1.

sorryyougotnuked:
1. 6+7+7=20/30.
2. 6+7+6=19/30.
3. 6+6+6=18/30.

Total: 57/90

SpearNuke:
1. 7+6+7=20/30.
2. 8+7+7=22/30.
3. 6+8+7=21/30.

Total: 63

By a score of 63 (Spearnuke) to 57 (sorryyougotnuked), Spearnuke progresses on to the final!

Semi-Final 2.

E2ekiel:
1. 7+8+8=23/30.
2. 5+7+6=18/30.
3. 8+9+8=25/30.

Total: 66/90

Matagot:
1. 9+9+9=27/30.
2. 8+7+8=23/30.
3. 8+9+8=25/30.

Total: 75/90

By a score of 75 (Matagot) to 66 (E2ekiel), Matagot progresses on to the final!

The final, therefore, will be between Spearnuke and Matagot.

However, there will also be one last debate for 3rd place. So the fellow contestants (sorryyougotnuked and e2ekiel) are not of out the running for a prize yet!