So Many Non-English Speaking Players...

DeletedUser

After joining on the rim, I sent a circular to a bunch of people in my neighborhood, poking around to see what I'd find.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been around the game for several years (since 2006) and was really just poking to see who else is out here.

Regards,
AlphaNumerator

15 people read the mail, and I got 6 responses. Here are four of them:

Hey, sorry but my English is not very good, but do not understand what you wrote:)

Hi I don't speak english very good because I am polish.
I play in tribalwars on polish server on 5 years

Hello!

I from Hungary!!!!

One guy responded with two words:
I mailed him back a couple times, and while he didn't claim to not know English, he certainly was struggling to communicate.

The sixth person actually responded in intelligible English, and we conversed for a while. Out of the 9 that read the mail but didn't respond, we can only speculate: were they English-speaking players who found my mail prying and chose to ignore it, or were they non-English speaking players who simply had no clue what I was saying? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Now don't get me wrong: I don't object to this, I just find it rather odd for so many players on the US server to not be from the US--even many that don't understand English. Has anyone else noticed an overwhelmingly large foreign segment of W1's population?

DeletedUser173

I've noticed such trends as well, notably in Ego, a mostly German tribe. While they could mostly speak English, whenever they got on skype, it was all German.

DeletedUser188

I've noticed such trends as well, notably in Ego, a mostly German tribe. While they could mostly speak English, whenever they got on skype, it was all German.

We maybe have 3 germans :confused:

DeletedUser

Actually it seems the english speaking population percentage is decreasing and the foreign languages are increasing drasticly.

I have seen many german players and many other European players but I am seeing less and less United states players and even less English players.. However the skill level seems to be improving.. :p

DeletedUser

Yeah, I noticed the same thing at my place (Continent 61) while I was rimming. :')

DeletedUser

I come from the netherlands. my english is maybe good :p.

i understand every one that speak to me so.

DeletedUser

it's fun :p many dutch people loves spam. (so i do :p)

this world: a lot of barbarian villages. That means you can have a beautiful cluster.

DeletedUser

A lot of barbarian villages to me means that I can/should expand even wider than I normally do, since possible attackers are far enough away that I can still juggle support between my villages. My first nobles will probably be 15 fields away, or farther. If you start by nobling the villages right beside your main, you could potentially be hedged in and unable to expand later.

(Of course, on the rim, I doubt that will happen. But it is a matter of principle!)

DeletedUser

A lot of barbarian villages to me means that I can/should expand even wider than I normally do, since possible attackers are far enough away that I can still juggle support between my villages. My first nobles will probably be 15 fields away, or farther. If you start by nobling the villages right beside your main, you could potentially be hedged in and unable to expand later.

(Of course, on the rim, I doubt that will happen. But it is a matter of principle!)

Many barbs means many farm runs what means quicker nobling, you don't care about some extra fields walking if that means you're 3 or 4 days earlier to noble, do you?

DeletedUser

Many barbs means many farm runs what means quicker nobling, you don't care about some extra fields walking if that means you're 3 or 4 days earlier to noble, do you?

Exactly.

And back to the topic...I just found out that not only do the majority of my neighbors not speak English as a first language, but apparently the "dominating" tribes here on the rim are predominantly Polish and Romanian. I'd be really interested to see some percentage stats (i.e. the percent of total players speaking English).

DeletedUser

Languages other than english are not to be used on the forums.

DeletedUser

That was what I was going to say, I think those can be removed.

AND on-topic. I remember I mailed every top 20 member and of the ones that replied, only one of them knew good English............................................................................................................................... :(

DeletedUser173

That was what I was going to say, I think those can be removed.

AND on-topic. I remember I mailed every top 20 member and of the ones that replied, only one of them knew good English............................................................................................................................... :(

I never recieved a mail from you. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

it seems that they invade the world because it is a newer world, although i dont see point because it ruins this world for the us players, seeing other languages take over