Florida appeals court strikes down gay adoption ban

DeletedUser

That's unfair and unlawful :/, Why should gay men and women not be aloud to adopt? If they are willing to raise the child and give it a home then they should be aloud to adopt :/

MM

DeletedUser

I Don't See Issues With This, If A Gay/Lesbian Couple Wants To Adopt, Then I See No Problem With It. I Wouldn't Think That There Would Be Any Difference In The Way That The Children Would Be Raised/Treated. The Only Thing That I Think Would Be An Issue Is When The Child (ren) Start The Middle School (When It Gets A Lot Meaner) And They Get Picked On For It.

But That Will Happen Everywhere.

I Am Tired, So I Won't Write Much, I Might Contribute More Later.............

DeletedUser

It'd be strange for the child though and when he/she goes to school, that fact is if people found out in most cases that child would get bullied or harrassed. Gotta think of the childs rights, not just the gay couples rights

DeletedUser452

Although I believe in gay equality, more research needs to be done into children's development under gay parents. Phycology shows that to have a male and female role model is very important in the phycologic development of a child.

DeletedUser

It'd be strange for the child though and when he/she goes to school, that fact is if people found out in most cases that child would get bullied or harrassed. Gotta think of the childs rights, not just the gay couples rights

Although I believe in gay equality, more research needs to be done into children's development under gay parents. Phycology shows that to have a male and female role model is very important in the phycologic development of a child.

/agrees with these comments,

The child that could be adopted should be considered much more than the parents who want to adopt, as it is the child's life that could be screwed up.

DeletedUser

Start The Middle School (When It Gets A Lot Meaner) And They Get Picked On For It.

Let's ban physical deformities, speech impediments and poor people too then.

Please elaborate on this male/female role model hypothesis. Gender =/= sex. How many gay couples do you know?

This is just the same thing as any other anti-gay legislation. It has to do with religious beliefs, not actual psychological theories. I'm glad that FL, still a red state, repealed the ban. It's a step forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Let's ban physical deformities, speech impediments and poor people too then.

No

1. Physical Deformities
- Since This Was Mainly A Thread Towards The Gay/Lesbian Adoption, I Was Leaving Them Out, But Yes, They Do Get Quite A Lot Of The Verbal Abuse As Well

2. Speech Impediments
- People Don't Make A Big Issues Out Of This As Much As They Used To, So I Don't Think This Is A Huge Issue

3. Poor People
- I Hate To Say This, But "Poor" People Are Not Really Noticeable (Not All Of Them) But They Only Get A Little Of It (From What I Have Seen) Because Once Someone Is Called "Poor" And Been Laughed At, What Else Can Be Done.

I Know I Didn't Cover Or Expand On My Explanations, But I Am Not One To Write A Lot, As Well As Not One To Make People Read A Lot, So This Is Merely My Opinion

DeletedUser

My point was that kids are going to make fun of other kids for all kinds of reasons; usually completely irrational reasons, including having gay parents. It's up to the parents to educate their kids on the virtues of tolerance and respect. It's up to the gay parents to teach their kids that they are equals with everyone else and that if they are harassed for who their parents are, that is the bullies' issue, not theirs.

DeletedUser452

Please elaborate on this male/female role model hypothesis. Gender =/= sex. How many gay couples do you know?

This is just the same thing as any other anti-gay legislation. It has to do with religious beliefs, not actual psychological theories. I'm glad that FL, still a red state, repealed the ban. It's a step forward.

More research needs to be done, as I said. We can't just jump to the conclusion that children will develop identically to children of different sex parents.

DeletedUser

My point was that kids are going to make fun of other kids for all kinds of reasons; usually completely irrational reasons, including having gay parents. It's up to the parents to educate their kids on the virtues of tolerance and respect. It's up to the gay parents to teach their kids that they are equals with everyone else and that if they are harassed for who their parents are, that is the bullies' issue, not theirs.

Yeah, no point adding another reason to the list either?

DeletedUser

More research needs to be done, as I said. We can't just jump to the conclusion that children will develop identically to children of different sex parents.

There's no conclusion that gay parents can't raise healthy children either. Moot point.

Yeah, no point adding another reason to the list either?

Eventually, everyone in this country will have equal rights. Might as well start getting used to it now ;)

DeletedUser

There's no conclusion that gay parents can't raise healthy children either. Moot point.

Eventually, everyone in this country will have equal rights. Might as well start getting used to it now ;)

People may have equal rights, it still dosent stop discrimination.

DeletedUser

As opposed to them moving from foster home to foster home their entire life then turning 18, being handed a $200 dollar check and told to have a nice life?

My father is very verile, I'm still gay. No offense, but that's a pathetic argument considering there's been gay people for a lot longer than there's been gay adoption rights.

/agrees with these comments,

The child that could be adopted should be considered much more than the parents who want to adopt, as it is the child's life that could be screwed up.

My mom was adopted by a straight couple. Her adoptive mother was a crazy <female dog> who we don't talk to anymore. She has trust issues and horrible nightmares and honestly hadn't had a very good life. Now, you can tell her how good her life was because she wasn't adopted by gay people.

DeletedUser

Once they aren't cute babies any more orphan children have very low chances of being adopted. And Gap houses (assuming those aren't just things in my part of the world?) really aren't that great. Honestly, I could take a little bit of being picked on (really, who sees your parents besides your friends anyway?) if it meant getting a better chance in the world.

DeletedUser

It does stop legal discrimination though, and it gives the victim legal recourse if discriminated against. Eventually, enough punishment will either remove the offender from society, or discourage discrimination. Like I said, might as well get used to it now.

DeletedUser

It does stop legal discrimination though, and it gives the victim legal recourse if discriminated against. Eventually, enough punishment will either remove the offender from society, or discourage discrimination. Like I said, might as well get used to it now.

Yeah but it will never be removed from society, not for some time.
People still discriminate against black people, and that was outlawed ages ago.