Mass Debating Competition [Discussions]

DeletedUser

The arguments will go up at some point today.

Apologies for not being able to get them arranged to go up yesterday - it's a very busy time for me at the moment. Expect them up within 12-24 hours.

Also, the prizes and entry were open for any person who is on W4.

DeletedUser

4. The best defense, is a good offense.

FOR: BETTO III
This essay going to be a top class powerhouse argument on why defence is better than offence.

I guess lad just gave up and decided to help me out a bit. :rolleyes:

SpearNuke said:
Yeah this should go to the competition thread.

Competition thread is locked, thus' I made this one for discussions ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I meant the competition section of the forum.

And yeah :D if you win you owe him :p

DeletedUser

This isn't an official competition. It would be better run and available to all forum users if it was an official one - not a specific world.

So it belongs here :p

DeletedUser

When???

When are we going to see (and vote on) these debates?

DeletedUser

When are we going to see (and vote on) these debates?

They go up in the locked thread each time the deadline for putting forth arguments ends, as soon as I have time to compile them for our lovely mod.

The first rounds are voted for by a judging panel, BUT there will be opportunities for discussing the qualitiy of the debates once the round ends up until the judges' decisions are announced.

The final will be voted on by the public, hopefully in the form of a poll.

DeletedUser

Yes, the last debate (the final) will be voted on in terms of a poll I will set up. Each debate's arguments go up in the locked thread, next round of rebuttals should begin soon. And no, this isn't an official competition. Rather, we are running this on a smaller scale to see how effectively it can be run, and will possibly run a server-wide (not just W4 specific) competition in the future after seeing how this one goes and altering anything if needed.

DeletedUser

I like this debate (for points!). I was expecting postings prior to the closed/locked threads. Don't you set yourself up for over-scrutination otherwise? Why not post the arguments as they happen, and let the intelligence of this server/world assist with the determinations. The whole point was to get people engaged...

DeletedUser

You want to get some action going

remake the settings to W24.net again then make a advertisement on the .net server that W24 is reborn on .us cause pretty much anyone will tell you W24 was the best world .net had to offer

HAHA, Iam sure we can get lots of players over here from W24....Is this a debate, as if it is we are on topic.

DeletedUser

I just put in my counter argument xD I think it was alot better then my opening argument.

DeletedUser

I like this debate (for points!). I was expecting postings prior to the closed/locked threads. Don't you set yourself up for over-scrutination otherwise? Why not post the arguments as they happen, and let the intelligence of this server/world assist with the determinations. The whole point was to get people engaged...

And how long would it go? How would we control who got the last word in, which is a big part of the debate as they get the last retort? How would we monitor the amount of posts everyone got?

It's been tried that way, but it quickly becomes a mess with spam and never-ending debates that are uncontrollable :p.

DeletedUser

Is anyone here going to actually discuss the arguments? I'm kind of curious to at least see what people think of me and my opponent.

DeletedUser

Same xD Ill give you my opinion, i liked your opening statement. you gave pictures xD i tried to but i didn't know how to do the statistics stuff :p But i used examples :p But i thought your opening statement was good

DeletedUser

Is anyone here going to actually discuss the arguments? I'm kind of curious to at least see what people think of me and my opponent.

Well, it's best not to "debate" the discussions whilst they are ongoing. This is one of the reasons they are being posted in a locked thread - once the round ends, discussion on the individual debates will be open on the actual thread. The idea is that it blocks other users from being able to influence the outcome of the first rounds, as the whole idea of this is to spark intelligent debate and to test indvidiuals' abilities to debate.

DeletedUser

Oh, no, I still haven't made mine yet hahaha

I'll do it tomorrow morning and send it as soon as possible