Mass Debating Competition [Discussions]

DeletedUser

True...

When's the next set going up?

I'll be sorting out compiling all the ones I've got (I think I've got 7) when I get in this afternoon. Hopefully they will be up within 24 hours.

DeletedUser

Is anyone here going to actually discuss the arguments? I'm kind of curious to at least see what people think of me and my opponent.

It's quite difficult to judge. Most of the opening arguments lack some sort of a logical premise and doesn't really get the point across - why exactly the particular person is correct. Knowing that I didn't write the best opening argument myself, I'd say it's quite difficult to write a good one, without a practice and thought to it. But I reckon the counter-arguments might be better.

DeletedUser

I agree with matagot. I think the counter arguments are alot easier xD And mine was better then my first one.

DeletedUser

I only had 15 minutes to make my rebuttal. I definitely felt rushed, but it was still easier than the opening statement.

DeletedUser

<_<

>_>

Totally thought the debates were going to be along the lines of "Socrates vs. Aristotle" and "Does Free Will Exist?" It somehow never occurred to me that they'd be about TW. Perhaps I should pay more attention to my surroundings...where am I?

DeletedUser

A lot of you guys scare me away from this :p My chances of winning seem very slim loooking at some of these arguments.

btw, matagot, I thought the way you laid yours out was pretty interesting, not what I was expecting

DeletedUser

If you can make it past the first round you can probably win the whole thing. Because that means you beat lopinoman :p

DeletedUser

I think if a server-wide one goes up, there will be even more fun debates to be had. However, don't let that deter you from entering; even the best arguer can always lose a debate if he/she doesn't know how to adapt to the audience as well ;).

DeletedUser

Wait, googly said there were going to be 2 guest judges announced when the competition began, who are they?

DeletedUser

Googly said:
Myself, and 2 guest judges (which will be announced once the competition is ready to begin)

Which means there are 2 judges besides Googly.

DeletedUser

Ok :) My guess is that he will announce it after the first round.

DeletedUser

<_<

>_>

Totally thought the debates were going to be along the lines of "Socrates vs. Aristotle" and "Does Free Will Exist?" It somehow never occurred to me that they'd be about TW. Perhaps I should pay more attention to my surroundings...where am I?

It was going to be random debate topics that had nothing to do with TW, but then I realised that it may be a way of teaching some people new things through debating, which furthers the usefulness of people practicing the skill. So I decided to stick with TW topics :)

Wait, googly said there were going to be 2 guest judges announced when the competition began, who are they?

Wait and see, e2ekiel, wait and see :p

Ok :) My guess is that he will announce it after the first round.

100% correct. The judges will be known after the first round is over and the judging is taking place.

DeletedUser

Due to lack of response, SpearNuke has automatically advanced to the next round. The same goes for Matagot. The posted arguments are their rebuttals, which their opponents failed to deliver. The first two debates are still ongoing. New rebuttals posted.

DeletedUser2069

man I should of joined this debate :(

Oh well maybe the next one

DeletedUser

Congratulations, Spearnuke.
Even though I'm pleased to get through to the next round I was curious how would Betto get out of his mess he made in his first argument.
And got to give credit to Stiven as well, I like his style, hahah.

e2ekiel said:
btw, matagot, I thought the way you laid yours out was pretty interesting, not what I was expecting

And cheers to that! Also the counter-arguments do look much better and with a thought to them.