Mass Debating Competition [Discussions]

DeletedUser

So the deadline for opening argument will be moved as well? If so, then it's great, last year of university takes hell of a time away, so haven't had a chance to think about the debates much.

DeletedUser

So the deadline for opening argument will be moved as well? If so, then it's great, last year of university takes hell of a time away, so haven't had a chance to think about the debates much.

I'll make the rounds a bit longer for the next ones :)

DeletedUser

Mails have just gone out to the competitors.

This round will have extended lengths for entry.

It shall work as follows:

After this mail, you have 4 days to get your competition entry in to me via mail.
Once these are all in and go up on the forum's Stickied thread for this competition, you have a further 3 days to put in your first rebuttal.
Once these are all in and are also up on the Stickied thread, you have a further 2 days to put up your closing statement.

These are the Semi-Finals.

After this round, there is a battle for 3rd place between the two runners up. And there is the battle for 1st place between the two round winners. Best of luck to all!

The semi-finals, are now commencing.

~Googly~

DeletedUser

Sorryyougotnuked has yet to submit his first argument.

As such, the competition will remain open for a further 24 hours, & if no entry is made by that time he will have to forfeit.

DeletedUser

Sorry about that, I've had alot I need to do.

I'll do the first argument now.

DeletedUser

All entries for round 1 of the semi-finals are now all in.
Once they appear on the locked thread, the remaining competitors have just 72 hours (3 days) to submit their first rebuttal.​

DeletedUser

I'm not going to say too much, since we're still in mid-competition for round 1, but...

Matagot, on first look, your opening statement looks much better than mine. Very impressive. I will say I am pleased with my rebuttal though, and the thought put in it...

We'll see. The longer I look at your opening statement though, the more my opinion of it changes. I think this will be an interesting match ;)

DeletedUser

So far, everybody has made huge improvements to the first round, I would say :)

DeletedUser

Just sent my rebuttal, this topic isn't really my cup of tea, but I think it's going to be fine ^^ Now back to farming, 200 lc's already back while writing the rebuttal :mad:

DeletedUser

Why do I always do these at the last minute. I have, what, 1 and a half hours left and I am just now doing it!

DeletedUser

All entries for the 1st rebuttal are now in.

Once these appear on the locked thread you have but 48 hours to get in your final rebuttals.

Best of luck!

DeletedUser

I'm not gonna, it's just much more challenging this time around :p

I think it's going to be very close, if I even do well in the first place...

DeletedUser

No point in quitting!

If you win your round, you are guaranteed a prize. If you don't you still have the opportunity to play for the 3rd place prize!

This have been quite fun so far. I reckon that this competition should be done as each new world opens up. In a sense that it might attract more players from other servers wishing to test their debate skills and end up playing the world itself, subsequently raising the competition level on the server, as well as, PnP level of .us. Tho' knowing you might have lack of time, you might need some helping, I would be all up for helping, tho' I would probably want to participate :rolleyes:

P.S. I reckon that idea about making debates about non-tw related topics would also be valuable, interesting and educational.

I'm not gonna, it's just much more challenging this time around :p

I think it's going to be very close, if I even do well in the first place...

I know what you mean. For me it's even worse, I'm in an essay period for University now, lots of reading and writing, so don't really have much time to consider my rebuttals, but will do it tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This have been quite fun so far. I reckon that this competition should be done as each new world opens up. In a sense that it might attract more players from other servers wishing to test their debate skills and end up playing the world itself, subsequently raising the competition level on the server, as well as, PnP level of .us. Tho' knowing you might have lack of time, you might need some helping, I would be all up for helping, tho' I would probably want to participate :rolleyes:

P.S. I reckon that idea about making debates about non-tw related topics would also be valuable, interesting and educational.

Non-tw related topics will be a definite option should I end up running a future version of this on another world. However, there is always the possibility that the staff decide to continue this idea as an official competition if they feel it would benefit the community enough.

I should be back to free time and lots of it now - I spent 13 hours block-working yesterday and am fully up to date on university stuff again :)

DeletedUser

Sorry, I've had some stuff going on in RL lately. I can't do the rebuttal tonight.

But I will try to get it in first thing in the morning.